What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UL Power

Lazerball

I'm New Here
Has anyone here installed the UL Power 520 on a -7. What are everyone?s thoughts, will the standard cowling work. Really like the idea of having FADEC

Call Ray Lawrence at Kaolin Aviation. Ray was doing one for a customer IIRC.

The standard cowling won't fit. The motor is mounted a few inches further forward to keep the cg correct, so almost everything is different. Speaking with them at Oshkosh last year, they said there is a firewall forward kit out there, so parts should be available.

just a few thoughts...

Welcome Lazerball!

Every now and then I look at alternative engines and wish for a miracle....

It is a shame that there is so little out there. The UL based on their website will eat as much gas as a 50 year old lyco.... I do not understand how technology is not at a point of using half of the fuel...

Then there is the price? I don't see any reason to spend about the same or more on a New design that doesn't have a track/safety record that dates back a few decades.

I love the diesels used in the Diamond aircraft. But geez 70-80K?

I just have not seen any attractive alternatives. Apparently the Lyco design is hard to beat. For me, it would either have to be half the fuel or half the price to really consider wondering of the beaten path.

I?m still a ways out from finalizing the engine, the other one I am considering is the Continental Titan and using the EFII ignition and injection system, really like the idea of having FADEC and not having to worry about a mixture laver. I am spoiled flying jets, one go lever only.

I’m still a ways out from finalizing the engine, the other one I am considering is the Continental Titan and using the EFII ignition and injection system, really like the idea of having FADEC and not having to worry about a mixture laver. I am spoiled flying jets, one go lever only.

Gotta be careful with the Kool-Aid. The available electronic fuel injection systems merely substitute a mixture twist knob in place of a lever. Sure, you can program one fuel map and leave it there all the time...just like you can leave the standard mixture lever in one position. Works fine, but it's not optimum for all conditions.

Heck, the best thing about EFI is the ability to run very lean while remaining smooth, when max range is desired, which means twisting the knob.

Last edited:
Back