What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SL30 firmware survey

1bigdog

Well Known Member
I'd appreciate some input for those with SL30's on G3X.
In a previous post I mentioned that I have SL30's where the NAV can tune standby but not COMMs standby. It appears the only thing left is to determine which firmware versions have been seen to fully work (can tune both nav and comms standby) and which versions do not work (such as mine). One additional data point that would be helpful;
Did you have a non-working config like mine that was fixed by a firmware update on the SL30? (Note: G3X firmware does not appear to be a factor).

My firmware on the SL30 is
On the SL 30

NAV 1.10

COM 2.1

DSP 1.10

Please let me know what firmware you have and if you can tune NAV and COMM standby. I'll put together a table.

Thanks.

GRT loads NAV, won't load COM

My GRT EFIS can load a NAV frequency into my SL30 NAV Standby, but it will not load a COM frequency into the SL30 COM Standby.
The GRT guys think it's due to old software in the SL30.

Michael - if this is what you're referring to, I'll find/post the software rev level of my ~2008 vintage SL30.

Bo

True

My GRT EFIS can load a NAV frequency into my SL30 NAV Standby, but it will not load a COM frequency into the SL30 COM Standby.

Michael - if this is what you're referring to, I'll find/post the software rev level of my ~2008 vintage SL30.

Bo

And the “newer” (as in later firmware, I suppose) units do in fact work with regard to sending and receiving NAV and COM frequencies. I verified same with a GRT unit. So I would venture to say that the problem is NOT anything EFIS related but instead, the vintage of your SL30 as mentioned.

Nav: 1.30
COM: 2.1
DSP: 1.20

I do not have a G3X but am using a GX60 to provide the data. Have not had any issues with tuning NAV or COM frequencies. The GX60 database (latest version available is over a year old / last database before discontinued) does transfer NAV and COM frequencies. I use the NAV transfer a lot but rarely use the COM transfer. SL30 is com 2 and typically receive 121.5 and ATIS/AWOS info only.

My 2001 vintage SL30 was sent in for a factory repair a number of years ago and most likely had the latest firmware installed when it was in at the repair facility. I remember an AD for the GX60 software / firmware and maybe the SL30 had one also but I know they were both checked and updated to the latest and greatest at that time.

on GRT

Bo

Hi Bo

Since I've seen from a Dynon board they had a similar experience with low rev code you may as well post the version you have as it will probably help others with GRT. I'll just expand the table. From the look of it at least initially this affects all serially connected EFIS with low rev SL30 code.

Cheers.

Firmware versions

NAV: 1.40 loads from GRT into standby SL30 slot
COM: 2.2 does not
DSP: 1.20

Back