Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-02-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
You may want to let AeroLEDs in on it because their installation instruction specify using the shield.

I wired my RV-10 per their recommendations and I have no avionics noise whatsoever...
Yes. I saw where AeroLEDs changed that. Originally they didn't specify to use shield as ground but about 3 or 4 years ago they changed to that. I think they go so far as to say that using the shield for ground is less noisy than having the ground inside as a standard circuit where we leave the shield for pure shielding. That got my attention as I too am an electrical engineer (and aerospace engineer). I have done it both ways, the earlier installs with dedicated ground separate from shield and then switching to the shield ground configuration. I haven't noticed a difference as both are quiet but if AeroLEDs suggests the best way and it's lighter who am I to argue?

AeroLEDs are still my all-around favorite strobe product line.

Jim
Old 06-02-2021, 09:30 AM

Default yep

I like their product, too!

RV-10
N464RL

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+
Old 11-10-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
As Trent above mentions, a 3 wire to the GEA24 from the Ray Allen servo for position. and a separate shielded 2 cond from Garmin servo to trim motor.
Std 22 single conductor from trim relays to Garmin servo trim input.

Follow the recommended light wiring for nav/str.

I'm doing a wiring job on a 14/Garmin, not using any of Van's harnesses.
Sorry for digging up an old thread. I'd like to understand better when one would and wouldn't use shielded:

Why should the servo to trim power be shielded, but the relay to servo trim input can be unshielded? Can the servo power leads also be unshielded? I ask because the power going into the servo from the relays would throw off as much, if not more, electronic interference than the servo to trim leads, all while passing near and alongside a whole lot more wires and components.
Old 11-10-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotyoke View Post
Sorry for digging up an old thread. I'd like to understand better when one would and wouldn't use shielded:

Why should the servo to trim power be shielded, but the relay to servo trim input can be unshielded? Can the servo power leads also be unshielded? I ask because the power going into the servo from the relays would throw off as much, if not more, electronic interference than the servo to trim leads, all while passing near and alongside a whole lot more wires and components.
There is no electrical reason to use shielded cable for trim servos - but that is what I use. As I mentioned, a single, four #22 conductor shielded cable has all the wires you need, and the single cable provides for a much more durable wire run than a bunch of individual wires.

For LED strobes, the three #20 conductor shielded cable as I mentioned does what you need, as well as provides a little protection agains RFI.

This has worked well for me on three RVs.

Carl