What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Breather Tube?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I understand that it's attached via a rubber connection at the top engine end. I'm curious about the forward curve at the bottom. It it intended to curve forward into the slipstream around the exhaust pipes? What is the reason for this curve, or can that be changed to place the end of the tube where I want it?

Clay----some just angle cut the tube so it exits above the exhaust, whereever the whistle slots are. Some have used hose to route it where ever they want. I think if you get it near the cowling exit, you may be able to get some vacuum pull on the crankcase for ventilation. Kinda like the scavange check valves on the exhaust.

Tom

I understand that it's attached via a rubber connection at the top engine end. I'm curious about the forward curve at the bottom. It it intended to curve forward into the slipstream around the exhaust pipes? What is the reason for this curve, or can that be changed to place the end of the tube where I want it?

It curves forward to clear the bottom engine mount cross member which then places it above the exhaust pipe to burn off any oil on the way out.

It’s actually a vans part number with a swaged end on the hose side for proper fit. I would just buy the real thing because you won’t make it like theirs unless you have a true swaging machine.

Oil Breather exit.

It’s actually a vans part number with a swaged end on the hose side for proper fit. I would just buy the real thing because you won’t make it like theirs unless you have a true swaging machine.

Here's my solution. I rolled the end the tube goes on with a swaging device that is used on Continental push rod tubes. (That is NOT a crack in the engine mount. When I saw this picture, I immediately ran out and wiped it off: :eek::eek::eek:oil residue!!) :rolleyes:) This works well as it dumps anything coming out of the crank case (after an air-oil separator) onto both exhaust stacks and burns up. VERY little on the belly..

Attachments

• IMG_8577.jpg
    IMG_8577.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 182
Here's my solution. I rolled the end the tube goes on with a swaging device that is used on Continental push rod tubes. (That is NOT a crack in the engine mount. When I saw this picture, I immediately ran out and wiped it off: :eek::eek::eek:oil residue!!) :rolleyes:) This works well as it dumps anything coming out of the crank case (after an air-oil separator) onto both exhaust stacks and burns up. VERY little on the belly..

The vans tube is a lot longer and it ends in the same spot

Vent

I didn't install per Vans.
Buy one of these
I filled the pipe with sand and straightened it. Orbjusy buy a section of straight tube the same size.
Cleaned thoroughly
Cut off that flanged end
Bend the bottom and cut the angle then drill a 3/16" hole 6" from the bottom. Hole is in case the end freezes.
Cut the hose to connect the vent to the pipe. Add a couple breeze clamps.
Position the tube with as much rise in the hose as possible so oil drains back.
The hose fits better and can be removed if access is needed.

I didn't install per Van's plans.

I installed an AN844-10 5/8" fitting in the breather port on the IO-360-A1B6, and used a piece of MIL6000D hose 5/8" ID to arc from the top of the engine down along the side of the recess where I connected the bottom half of the Van's FF-705.

The FF-705 is attached to the firewall with two adele/umpco WCH cushion clamps at the middle of the recess and a few inches below it. (not shown in attached pic.)

The exit of the FF-705 is cut parallel to and positioned about 3/4" above the left exhaust pipe.

There are a set of 4 "whiffle" slots cut above the exit to allow the breather to function in case of freezing.

Constant tension clamps hold the MIL6000D hose to the FF-705 and AN823.

edit: added pic of exit

Attachments

• IMG_4160.jpg
    IMG_4160.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2742.jpg
    IMG_2742.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
My exhaust vent is tapered to coincide with the angle of the pipe exiting the engine compartment. The exiting air from the engine compartment then also provides some negative pressure at the pipe end for crankcase venting. My pipe also shows oil vapor that has been burned up as the vent fumes cake to the pipe. Your exhaust pipe is admirably clean at that junction and I wonder if I'm missing something here?

Cheers, Hans

Back