Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:35 AM

Default IO-320 and Mogas

Hello guys,

I have the opportunity to buy a low time Lycoming IO-320-B1A engine for my RV-9. However, based in Europe I do not want to run my airplane on AvGas, it's just getting too expensive.

I am looking for advise whether or not it is possible to feed an IO-320-B1A engine with MoGas which in our part of the world has an octane number of 98 and is still available without ethanol/methanol from certain providers such as Esso.

Your 2 cents are most welcome
RV-9
PH-SCP

"Building an aircraft is the male equivalent to giving birth, it only involves more blood and pain "

Last edited by PH-SCP : 11-11-2011 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Added e-mail notification in options
Old 11-11-2011, 09:52 AM

Running an IO-320-B1A on mogas should not be a problem!
Just remember that that engine has a "type II" dynafocal mount. So make sure you get the correct mount from Vans.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 11-11-2011, 10:54 AM

No mogas implications for use w/ fuel injection? No increased liklihood of vapor lock compared to carbs?
Old 11-11-2011, 04:04 PM

Have a look here.

There might be a very good reason why not to.

http://www.autofuelstc.com/autofuels...tart_Here.html

I am hoping to have a good long chat with George Brayly in the next week about this very topic. If I have any gems I will try to report back.

Out of interest, he was in Europe this last week and i am not sure that it was holidays. G100UL could be the answer in Europe some day.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV10inOz View Post
Have a look here.

There might be a very good reason why not to.

http://www.autofuelstc.com/autofuels...tart_Here.html

I am hoping to have a good long chat with George Brayly in the next week about this very topic. If I have any gems I will try to report back.

Out of interest, he was in Europe this last week and i am not sure that it was holidays. G100UL could be the answer in Europe some day.
I don't see any injected engine in the list of mogas-approved engines, keeping in mind that the list is for certified aircraft. However, I guess there is a good reason for that and I bet it could apply to experimentals too, unless Petersen never bothered to look at IO-320's....
RV-9
PH-SCP

"Building an aircraft is the male equivalent to giving birth, it only involves more blood and pain "
Old 11-11-2011, 05:14 PM

I think it will be all about vapor locking in the fuel delivery system. Carby engines do not have the same exposure.

Otherwise there is not much difference.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:05 PM

Default O 320D2J

Mine runs fine on 92 or 93 Octane no ethanol . Usually keep 100LL on one side and Mogas with No ethanol on the other side. usually switch to the 100LL for take off and on return to the pattern. That should purge any Mogas out of the carb and system while sitting in the hanger.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:31 AM

So .... during Thanksgiving we'll be at Lake Tahoe at our timeshare. Just up the street they sell alcohol free gas.... we're going to bring back as much as we can safely carry and do some testing.. we'll let you know what we find....
Old 11-12-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiLvrs View Post
So .... during Thanksgiving we'll be at Lake Tahoe at our timeshare. Just up the street they sell alcohol free gas.... we're going to bring back as much as we can safely carry and do some testing.. we'll let you know what we find....
Is your plane IO-320 powered ??
RV-9
PH-SCP

Old 11-12-2011, 10:26 AM

Simon...

I think you are missing the point a little

The "engine", be it (I)O-320/260, will run quite happily on Mogas, provided said Mogas gets to the engine, and round the pipework, in liquid form. And some engine manufacturers are quite happy to say as much, others dragging their heels a bit

The problem is the airframe / cowling / fuel delivery installation. And RVs can suffer more by being tightly cowled.

Our RV-8, not helped by a black topped cowling, suffers from fuel vapourisation on the ground, on hot days / hot engine with Avgas. There are ways we could "mitigate" this (mech fuel pump cooling, fuel return lines, run booster pump).

The people to ask will be those regulating your aircraft when it will be flying. They will say whether they will allow it or not. Provided they allow it, or you decide to use it anyway (), I am sure you'll be OK, subject to some precautions as above.

The UK is one of the stricter places, and following the Safety Sense Leaflet and CAP 747, there are type / engine combinations, including O-320 [not sure about IO?] approved.

I do not see RVs getting added to that list, since the fuel system is too variable between builders to get an "approval".

Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 G-HILZ
RV8tors