- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:08 AM

Default What did you do yesterday ?

I'm really loving this Drift HD camera. The weather was beckoning yesterday and as Maverick would say, "There was no danger....so I took it".

I blasted out of my home strip for points across the mountains. A fun little trip to break up the winter blues. Hope you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY8Z...ayer_embedded#!

Darren
Old 12-06-2011, 10:44 AM

Default Great Video!

I loved watching your video. Very inspiring to get my plane finished. Although, being from Southern California, all that snow was a bit intimidating. Great Job!
First Flight: April 2013
Hobbs: 400 hours after Oshkosh 2017
www.myrv9.com
Old 12-06-2011, 11:32 AM

Default uh, put up more christmas lites?....you win!

Nice Darren,
took me a few tries to find you on Google maps.....
nice grass strip, what is that, about 2250' ?
...too bad the guy next door won't pave his 'driveway', it looks like about the same length, dead straight! ( except the south 'ramp' would be the trans Canada highway!...possibly a little 'line up and wait' there, eh?

Do you usually do T&G on the rockies strips to test the snow depth anyway? I see there were some tracks, but hard to know if they've since frozen & crusted over etc.

anyway, good x-wind technique I'd say! Love the paint job too!

( and before all the tipup guys say it, what a view it would be without the canpy frame....ever tried the video from the dash? Might need the 170 angle lense there.)

Last edited by flyboy1963 : 12-06-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: add compliment:)
Old 12-06-2011, 11:43 AM

Default Nice work!

Can't wait to get my airplane up north. Really wanting to fly Oregon -> Alaska (where I grew up) next summer. Beautiful country up there in BC and i'm looking forward to visiting by air someday soon.

I think I have seen a picture of an RV4 on skiis. Doesn't seem like a good idea. My dad has lots of experience flying cubs on skiis in Alaska and says it's way harder and more dangerous than any other surface to land on.

One of the rental planes at my home airport here in Oregon was landed on snow once at a high elevation airport. The pilot didn't realize the snow was 4 feet deep as it appeared to be only inches. The airplane (a cessna 172) flipped over pretty much instantly.

Thanks for the video!
RV6 #2 tail done and wings done
Old 12-06-2011, 12:03 PM

Nice video!

This one was done from a police helicopter, I was flying the green one and would have had a good GoPro video of it all (you can just se the go pro on the LH tailplane) if it had not fell off somewhere The UK scenery is not quite as picturesque at north America!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mka9If_GrZk
Old 12-06-2011, 12:54 PM

Default Fun video

Fun video, watch your wheel pants don't fill up with ice/snow!
I was snorkelling at Kaanapali Beach, Maui...
Disclaimer: Everything I say can be presumed to be wrong. Don't try this at home.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:23 PM

Thanks for sharing your video. It was really awesome! I bet the guy on the snowmobile was excited to see someone frolicking out there too
https://N42BU.com
Old 12-06-2011, 04:33 PM

Glad you liked the video and hopefully it provided a little motivation for some. They are incredibly fun and versatile little airplanes.

Home field is just to the east of the Calgary International Airport control zones. It's a 2000 foot grass strip. I usually take off, stay below the class C and then climb when I can.

The snow on the runways was about 2 - 3 inches I guess. The video doesn't show it but on real short final I could see the runway markings. A little tricky landing on a pure white runway where there aren't the usual visual cues as to the your height.

I am leery of snow in the wheel pants. When I land I spend a few minutes digging loose snow from inside the pants so that my wheel isnt' frozen solid next time out. Once last winter I had to remove the pants to knock some ice out. It's not ideal but diehards will do what they have to get a flying fix

Snorkelling in Maui........you win !!

Darren
Old 12-07-2011, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren S View Post
Glad you liked the video and hopefully it provided a little motivation for some. They are incredibly fun and versatile little airplanes.
Snorkelling in Maui........you win !!

Darren
Absolutely inspirational...
Call it a draw... Great looking bird.
Bob's airport isn't it?
Disclaimer: Everything I say can be presumed to be wrong. Don't try this at home.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:52 AM

Very nice Darren. Thanks for sharing! Referred my student to your xwind landing technique. Perfect!

- John Munroe
RV8 @ Front Royal, VA
Wing Kit in progress