What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Maintenance with Sam James Wheel Pants

Clouddancer

Well Known Member
I like the looks of the Sam James wheelpants on the RV-4. Therefore I consider to swap our old-school one-piece wheelpants for the ones from Sam James.

The Sam James wheel pants are split in the two halfs in a different location than the Vans pressure recovery wheel pants: the Sam james wheelpants have the split behind the axle an the Vans wheel pants have it in front of the axle. Does this make any difference for maintenance on the wheels/brakes? For those who have the Sam James wheel pants: do you remove the front or the aft half for visual inspection and/or inflating the tire?

I like the looks of the Sam James wheelpants on the RV-4. Therefore I consider to swap our old-school one-piece wheelpants for the ones from Sam James.

The Sam James wheel pants are split in the two halfs in a different location than the Vans pressure recovery wheel pants: the Sam james wheelpants have the split behind the axle an the Vans wheel pants have it in front of the axle. Does this make any difference for maintenance on the wheels/brakes? For those who have the Sam James wheel pants: do you remove the front or the aft half for visual inspection and/or inflating the tire?

The F1 Rocket wheel pants split behind the axle.
A 3/4 " hole is drilled in the side of the nose section in line with the valve stem. Then a snap in cover, plugs the hole.

The side wall of the tires have a red dot to index to indicate when the stem is lined up with the access hole. A short 5" valve stem extension is carried in my tool kit for filling. Michelin air stop tubes and once a year in early winter I top up the pressure to 52PSI for easy rolling by hand.

It is quick and easy to remove the aft pant section for brake pad inspection.

Back