What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Propeller disk?

Clouddancer

Well Known Member
Have you ever seen a propeller disk like this? :)

Anyone an idea what I used this for?

14929585430_09b431dc65.jpg

If the gear and tail feathers were off, you could roll the fuselage with it. Although particle board is a poor material for that purpose.

Dave

Prototype for a new paradigm in ring gear technology. Allows use of very lightweight starter motor.

... getting close

Ha, all good ideas! Although Dave is nearest from what we used this particle board disk for.

We had the engine only installed temporary to fit all the hoses (we got plenty of them with the inverted oil system) and to place all the stuff on the firewall. And as we are slow builders, we wanted to have the engine re-oiled before we attach it permanently to the firewall. We followed Lycoming Service Letter No. L180B as good as we could (without running the engine). Therefore we needed to rotate the engine to make the oil go everywhere. We attached a second disk on the engine mount …and finished was our engine rotating stand. See the following pictures. You get as well very good access to work on some of the engine auxiliaries.

14929540089_e936a15e67.jpg

14929679027_5cdfa90d09.jpg

And Dave you are right: particle board is not the best material. I would not dare to rotate the fuselage with only that disk in front. But it worked great with the two disks.

Last edited:
Me too

That is very interesting. I wanted to rotate my engine also prior to mounting on the fuselage. I mounted my engine to an automotive engine stand and rotated it that way every few months.

The engine stand worked great, but your idea is more creative.

Back