What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Prop Option from Whirlwind

Freemasm

Well Known Member
Whirlwind is on the verge of releasing a 15" spinner for the 330 series. Gives Rocket world another very good option, IMO. I settled here for a few reasons:

- The reviews on it here have been flat great. Reference links in the Propeller section here on VAF. To be honest, I might have done it on sex appeal alone; not that I'm superficial of course. https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=192684
- Not the easiest application. 4 cylinders with high compression, slightly stroked crank and advanced timing through electronic ignition (and of course a 15" spinner for our cowl choices)
- A US designed product that is serviced here. No need to ship overseas for service work.
- Could not get an answer from the Big house. Emails, phone calls, on-line forms -> nothing ever returned. Begging someone to take my money is a pet peeve of mine. When I did speak to them at SnF, they were helpful but a two blade 1960's tech prop (same as on my old Mooney) was their offer or a $28K composite three.

My order for prop/spinner has been in for coming up on five weeks now and should ship in three more weeks. They've been meeting their shipping estimates per some recent posts over the the Prop section. Hopefully that continues.

Anyway, no need to reply. letting you know there's other options.

Attachments

• 330-3B 78 Asm-15 in F1-Drawing.pdf
    42.4 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:
I would like to mention another option.
McFarlane stocks quite a few "MT" propellers right there in Kansas. They typically ship same day or day after. You don't have to wait for 8-10 weeks.

Yes, some of the really heavy damaged propeller blades have to go back to Germany for repair but the main issue here is that they can be repaired. the same type damage to other props is not repairable meaning you'd have to buy a whole new propeller.

MT also has a wide variety of propeller spinner shapes and sizes available. The spinners are made from carbon graphite, lightweight and strong.

Wasn't supposed to be a debate. MTs have been applied here for a long time. Was letting Rocket World know of a new option. I could have gone with an MT and only driven 30 miles to pick it up. They wouldn't spec an MTV 12 for my powerplant even with its counterweighted crank; only the heavier MTV 9. Reported performance advantages here aside (here on VAF), I also saved a couple grand$ before MTs price hike a couple of days ago.

Everyone has to do what's best for their build and most will strongly defend their decisions as "best". I'm doing what's best for this build. I also personally like to patronize market disrupters, new comers, etc. all things considered and when it makes sense. Imagine the impact to our expensive hobbies without them.

Last edited:
@Andoman. Would gladly resurrect this thread if I live long enough to complete this project. A much better source is the aforementioned thread (see link) in the first post here. Lots of RV experience flying behind different prop types; some on the same aircraft.

Whirlwind is on the verge of releasing a 15" spinner for the 330 series. Gives Rocket world another very good option, IMO. I settled here for a few reasons:

- The reviews on it here have been flat great. Reference links in the Propeller section here on VAF. To be honest, I might have done it on sex appeal alone; not that I'm superficial of course. https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=192684
- Not the easiest application. 4 cylinders with high compression, slightly stroked crank and advanced timing through electronic ignition (and of course a 15" spinner for our cowl choices)
- A US designed product that is serviced here. No need to ship overseas for service work.
- Could not get an answer from the Big house. Emails, phone calls, on-line forms -> nothing ever returned. Begging someone to take my money is a pet peeve of mine. When I did speak to them at SnF, they were helpful but a two blade 1960's tech prop (same as on my old Mooney) was their offer or a $28K composite three.

My order for prop/spinner has been in for coming up on five weeks now and should ship in three more weeks. They've been meeting their shipping estimates per some recent posts over the the Prop section. Hopefully that continues.

Anyway, no need to reply. letting you know there's other options.

Just sent you a PM... hoping you are right! I have a brand new WW330 sitting in my hangar that I've been drooling over since March (Ordered in October). Just waiting on the 15" spinner! The prop is a work of art!

Just sent you a PM... hoping you are right! I have a brand new WW330 sitting in my hangar that I've been drooling over since March (Ordered in October). Just waiting on the 15" spinner! The prop is a work of art!

Got a few minutes before another meeting. I hope to hit on all of your points in the related PM.

I was waiting on a final declaration from WW before making my prop choice; reference the original post regarding my engine requirements. Was told a while back that a 15" spinner was in work but fabrication workload was holding things up. I needed the flange-to-flange dims to do some initial cowling layout, which daisy chained from my firewall lay out, which..... I'm working in circles. In discussions with WW, I told them I'd probably get a prop on order once an installation drawing was released. It was and with permission, I shared that drawing in post one.

Before I signed the PA, which specifies a 15" spinner, I had been previously told the spinner fab would be another month or two after my prop was completed. Been seven weeks today since I signed and quoted 6-8 weeks for prop completion.

I'm in a different boat than most. I don't need the prop right away but could have used the aforementioned installation drawing months back. Also with today's supply chain environment, I've been moving most of my ordering up accordingly.

If WW doesn't come through on their promise dates, I'll update that here. I still have choices though I want this to work. Will let you know.

Got a few minutes before another meeting. I hope to hit on all of your points in the related PM.

I was waiting on a final declaration from WW before making my prop choice; reference the original post regarding my engine requirements. Was told a while back that a 15" spinner was in work but fabrication workload was holding things up. I needed the flange-to-flange dims to do some initial cowling layout, which daisy chained from my firewall lay out, which..... I'm working in circles. In discussions with WW, I told them I'd probably get a prop on order once an installation drawing was released. It was and with permission, I shared that drawing in post one.

Before I signed the PA, which specifies a 15" spinner, I had been previously told the spinner fab would be another month or two after my prop was completed. Been seven weeks today since I signed and quoted 6-8 weeks for prop completion.

I'm in a different boat than most. I don't need the prop right away but could have used the aforementioned installation drawing months back. Also with today's supply chain environment, I've been moving most of my ordering up accordingly.

If WW doesn't come through on their promise dates, I'll update that here. I still have choices though I want this to work. Will let you know.

Thanks for the info... My engine specs are the same as yours (310 hp) and my 330-3B-78G prop is in my hands ready to go on a flying airplane. I spoke with Jim several weeks ago and he working with his spinner supplier to get the 15" ready its just taking much longer than he had anticipated. I assume I will be one of the first (if not the first) to fly this prop on an F1 and will try to remember to share my thoughts.

If you get any additional information on the schedule of the spinners let us know.

Finally here

It took 9+ months but I have a WW prop and supposedly the first WW 15" spinner. Dealing with so many other, unrelated quality issues that it didn't hold me up. Design and fabrication quality look good. If I ever get to the actual installation, I'll post any relevant findings.

Attachments

• IMG_8195.jpg
    IMG_8195.jpg
    637.3 KB · Views: 99
Does anybody know if whirlwind have service centres in Europe? I have been reading about this prop with interest - performance and looks to match! But shipping back to the states for overhaul is a non-starter, unfortunately. No reply to my email from whirlwind.

I don't think they have an official service center in Europe. My only experience has been dealing with the "distribution" guys in California, and the headquarter guys in Ohio. They have made statements in the past that imply Whirlwind is open to sending the overhaul manual to a local prop shop so you don't have to ship it. I would keep trying to get in touch with them and see if they would be willing to commit to that.

Thanks for that. I’m excited by a three blader that doesn’t impact cruise speed..

It took 9+ months but I have a WW prop and supposedly the first WW 15" spinner. Dealing with so many other, unrelated quality issues that it didn't hold me up. Design and fabrication quality look good. If I ever get to the actual installation, I'll post any relevant findings.

Looks good, Scott! My WW 15" spinner arrived about a month ago and my neighbors came about the same time yours did so it looks like they are ramping up the manufacturing which is great. I have almost 100 hours on my prop now and it is simply awesome! Hopefully, you'll get your flying sooner than later and will enjoy it as much as I have.

Back