- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:09 PM

Default Phase 1 questions

Interesting scenario; but I have been asked for some help by my good friends family. Long story short he built an airplane, got it inspected, and has flown it a couple of times. A couple weeks ago he had a terrible stroke and is fighting for his life at the moment. With his age and the severity the doctors say he will never drive again much less fly if he makes it through it. He is a fighter so we keep praying for a hopeful outcome.

The plane has 6ish hours on the hobbs, the family asked if I would do the flight testing and fly the 40 hours off to get it out of phase 1. I've helped my friend work on the plane during the build, confident in the build quality and have no problems personally flying the 40 off for them so they can sell the plane.

My questions are since I'm not the builder what can I legally do to help them out to get the plane out of phase 1? obviously there isn't going to be much value for them if they sell it as is. After the 40 is flown and flight testing conducted what other paper work requirements are there?

Thanks for any suggestions and help during this time.
Old 04-26-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
Interesting scenario; but I have been asked for some help by my good friends family. Long story short he built an airplane, got it inspected, and has flown it a couple of times. A couple weeks ago he had a terrible stroke and is fighting for his life at the moment. With his age and the severity the doctors say he will never drive again much less fly if he makes it through it. He is a fighter so we keep praying for a hopeful outcome.
The plane has 6ish hours on the hobbs, the family asked if I would do the flight testing and fly the 40 hours off to get it out of phase 1. I've helped my friend work on the plane during the build, confident in the build quality and have no problems personally flying the 40 off for them so they can sell the plane.
My questions are since I'm not the builder what can I legally do to help them out to get the plane out of phase 1? obviously there isn't going to be much value for them if they sell it as is. After the 40 is flown and flight testing conducted what other paper work requirements are there?
Thanks for any suggestions and help during this time.
Phase I flight testing may be done by any pilot otherwise qualified to fly the aircraft. After completing the flight testing, the only paperwork is to make the appropriate logbook entry. It's all in the Operating Limitations issued to the aircraft.

Remember that Phase I is complete only after all flight testing is done. The 40 hour limitation is only a minimum time.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>

Last edited by Mel : 04-26-2021 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-26-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Phase I flight testing may be done by any pilot otherwise qualified to fly the aircraft.
Can that pilot sign the books to advance the airplane to phase 2?
2019(?) RV-10
Old 04-26-2021, 12:17 PM

Default Yes

Anyone qualified /certified to fly can do the phase 1. It has been done often, and putting together the logbook sign-off details and transitioning to Phase 2 is more about the aircraft than the pilot(s). Only the builder can acquire the repairman's certificate for that aircraft, however continued maintenance is not difficult after the fact.
Old 04-26-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
Can that pilot sign the books to advance the airplane to phase 2?
Yes...........
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 04-26-2021, 12:26 PM

Possibly additional help....

Aside from what has been correctly detailed in other posts, any work or corrective action that may be found to be required during the phase 1 flight testing can be done by you as well.

The first instance of a level of certification being required for someone doing something physically to the airplane is at the end of the 12th month from when it was certified.... when the first post certification condition inspection is due.

Scott McDaniels
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")