Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 08-08-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongawer View Post
I run 91UL almost exclusively for daily use. But when I travel, I burn 100LL with Decalin.

Looking at the price of the tank from Walmart at about $871, you can get an actual DOT approved gas tank from www.attatank.com for your truck bed, which is what I did. Including the pump it was about $1300. However, at about 200 hours a year at 5 gallons per hour, the payback is pretty quick. You can haul up to 119 gallons.

Additionally, here is Wackifornia, you can file to refund the road taxes at 58? a gallon annually, so if I burn 1000 gallons, I can get $580 back annually. That alone pays for the tank within a couple years; sooner if you're burning more, which I assume most folks are in the 8-12 gph range.

Also, regarding the difference between a diesel only and gas tank, keep in mind that you need a static line for diesel; the big difference is that the tanks for "diesel only" are generally not certified for gasoline. Additionally, if you're running gas with ethanol, the pump seals should be viton, which they may not be in a diesel only pump. Other than that, it's just a tank.
Thank you! Those tank people are in Cow Town (Fort Worth), just down the road from me. Just spoke with them, and they have exactly what I need.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:08 PM

Default Detonation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
What you haven?t mentioned is detonation resistance. 93 car gas is about 89 motor octane - quite a bit less than 100. With 8.5:1 pistons I?d think you?re pushing the limits. But without testing, I really don?t know.
Detonation issues are resolved by proper timing. I've got duel PMAGs with an EI Commander, and am essentially running the PMAG "B" curve with an upper limit on the max advancement. The result is higher EGTs, and lower CHTs, and no detonation issues.
RV-6A N926RV 875 Hrs (Sold)
RV-6A N925RV 2008 Hrs (Sold)
Old 08-08-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFlyGuy View Post
Thank you! Those tank people are in Cow Town (Fort Worth), just down the road from me. Just spoke with them, and they have exactly what I need.
Glad to help! BTW, you might say I referred them...they also offer military discount.

- RV10, N762G, Build in progress.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:22 AM

fwiw, i just e mailed the company that displayed the transfer tank on wheels as osh and they said fed regs kick over 119 gallons, not 95.
RV-12 kit as of 9/13
RV-12 airworthiness cert. 11/30/2021
first flight 7/25/2022
Old 08-09-2019, 07:08 AM

I have been running reg car gas in left tank for cruise flight, 50/50 mix in right tank for take off and landing for more years that I can remember. No mods on O-360. MMO added to fuel and some oil changes.
Stuart, Fl / East Hampton,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI - villa sold.
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
addicted pickle ball player
https://i.postimg.cc/tn3h4svg/IMG-3101.jpg
Old 08-09-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
I have been running reg car gas in left tank for cruise flight, 50/50 mix in right tank for take off and landing for more years that I can remember. No mods on O-360. MMO added to fuel and some oil changes.
... and thank you for opening the secret for me 8 years ago

Old 08-09-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
The way I look for it and detect it is watching my CHT's very closely when I'm operating close to the bears den. When you have a cylinder in the 400F region and it suddenly takes off climbing 1-2 degrees per second, it's almost certainly a detonation event. Time to do something NOW to stop it.
I've gotten the 390 into detonation with an ignition setting error, and Greg's description of the indication is accurate. When the CHT numbers suddenly start rolling like the gallons on a gas pump, it's time to make a change.

Although caution is warranted, test engines are routinely pushed into detonation on the dyno, over and over and over, and it doesn't hurt them. For certification, the FAA recognizes detonation comes in various degrees of severity. A minute of low to moderate detonation probably won't hurt anything. Sitting there brain dead while a cylinder or two is racing past 500F is another thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred.Stucklen View Post
Detonation issues are resolved by proper timing. I've got duel PMAGs with an EI Commander, and am essentially running the PMAG "B" curve with an upper limit on the max advancement. The result is higher EGTs, and lower CHTs, and no detonation issues.
You mean "A" curve, with jumper between terminals 2 and 3, base near 20 BTDC, max advance 34 degrees?

Or "B", no jumper, roughly 25 base, but using the EI Commander to limit maximum advance to something less than the B's standard 39 BTDC? If so, what max are you using?

Higher EGT and lower CHT is typical for less advance. All good.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post

Although caution is warranted, test engines are routinely pushed into detonation on the dyno, over and over and over, and it doesn't hurt them. For certification, the FAA recognizes detonation comes in various degrees of severity. A minute of low to moderate detonation probably won't hurt anything. Sitting there brain dead while a cylinder or two is racing past 500F is another thing.
Agreed on all points. I'm pretty sensitive to the needs of the engine - I can count on both hands (without using my feet) the number of times a cylinder has exceeded 425F, and I've never had one above 440F. When a test engine on the dyno fails, it lets the smoke out of the engine. When the test engine in my airplane fails, it might let the smoke out of ME.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Repeat Offender - 10 empennage in process.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:44 PM

I run 91 alcohol free in one tank and 100LL in the other tank. I take off and land in the expensive stuff, then enroute I fly the cheap stuff. My airplane has never stumbled even once. I don?t let it sit for a long time. If my plane is going to sit for more than a month... 100LL all the way.

T
ATP/CFI/II/MEI
N617TN
Old 08-09-2019, 01:05 PM

If you have a pickup truck, just get a clean 55 gallon drum and paint it red.
Use a siphon to decant it to your low wing RV, like the Safety Siphon or Siphon Pro. Secure the barrel so it doesn't slide around, and make up a ground wire with alligator clips for the drum and airplane.
Cheap, Easy, and handy to remove from your truck so you can use it for everything else a pickup does.
RV-8 N89SE first flight 12/26/2013
Yak55M, and the wife has an RV-4
There is nothing-absolute nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing around with Aeroplanes
(with apologies to Ratty)