Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 09-12-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohoflyer View Post
You will thank your effort later as you progress. Nice. Youll probably be making more as you collect more tools. As far as bits go Id make one of those blocks for the different bits and have one bit of each size in it. Then keep the extras in a tool box somewhere and replace as necessary.

This is mine which is not nearly as nice as yours but you get the point.

I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me to just make more blocks for bits.. something about the dies all having the same shank made sense, but I could do the same for bits, and keep the spares aside.
Old 09-13-2022, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.gagnon85 View Post
I laser cut it on some scrap 'hardboard' I had laying around, I can't attach the DXF, but if you send me an e-mail I can shoot it over.
PM sent. Or, just email it to [deleted]

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Last edited by Antonitis : 10-08-2022 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-13-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.gagnon85 View Post
I came up with this for my dimple dies and counter sinks, but how does everyone keep drill bits sorted? Some of these sizes are nearly impossible to separate.
I associate 2x drill bits (#30 and #40) with the related drill bit spring stops (https://skinpins.com/product/drill-stops/). I just stick these in the block with the dimple dies. The color of the spring matches the clecos, which makes picking the right drill bit very easy for 95% of the work.

For all other drill bits which are more rarely used, I store them in a couple of boxes like this one: https://aircraftengineersstore.com/s...numbers-empty/
Van's RV-8 "Mist" #84063
You can find me on: Blog

Last edited by Mistfarer : 09-13-2022 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-25-2022, 10:13 AM

Ohh. If you do that quality of workmanship on a mere tool holder, you're gonna have a very nice looking airplane. My two-cents - I took some Testor's Model paint (Hobby Lobby) and dabbed colors on the drills and reamers 3/32-#40 both green; 1/8-#30 both red. Also both male and female countersink dies. Blue on the tank dies, red on the sub-dies, green on the skin dies. Still I have an eye loupe handy when I doubt myself. Drills run their life, new for drilling out rivets, then general purpose, then to the pile of run-of-the-mill shop needs.