What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

You might be an RV builder if.....

...You bring your old computer back from the dead, so you can have one in the garage.

...You run an Ethernet cable from your router out to your detached garage, so you can put that resurrected computer online and check VAF and rvproject.com without coming into the house.

#146 - #148 (I think)

... the blinds in your new house are partially supported by custom designed, aircraft-grade aluminum brackets.

... (in reference to #143) you teach MBA classes and use RV building as examples to illustrate production/operations management concepts.

... when people that knew you lived where the eye of Hurricane Katrina passed ask "how's the plane" before anything else.

#149: You spend an hour making up a story before you call Van's order line because one of these days Ken might pick up the phone and ask why you need a replacement, and you don't want to explain to him that you put a little scratch in it, and yes you've polished it out but somewhere in the back of you're mind you just know the metal "remembers"...

#150: You have a Modine Hot Dawg heater installed in your garage

#151: When the contractor came by to install the garage heater he asked to borrow your tools

#152: MacGuyver reruns don't seem nearly as believable anymore

#153: You have no problem blowing $500 on tools you know you'll never use but you agonize over buying a box of Sharpies because the size you want only comes in assorted colors and that's a waste of money since, as we all know, the only acceptable color is blue.

#154-When a fellow RV-10 builder is deployed to Iraq you worry more about how he'll keep building than the fact he was sent to Iraq! :eek:

#155-When your halfway through your fuselage and a new builder posts a VS question and you blurt out "Newbie" only to find out you asked that same question 2 years ago. :eek:

#156-When you think you got the jump on your friend & building partner by getting the first Nevada RV-10 license plate only to find out he got the "RV-10A" plate. :mad:

Rick S.

#157 Outside with the neighbor when he says," Hey look at the neat RV!" and you look ...up.
Steve, #30 is just bad ju-ju you need to lay off the spicey food before bedy-bye.
H

Rick S. said:
#156-When you think you got the jump on your friend & building partner by getting the first Nevada RV-10 license plate only to find out he got the "RV-10A" plate. :mad: Rick S.

img0020300wj.jpg

Rick Galati N307R RV-6A "Darla"
(reserved) N308R RV-8A
:rolleyes:

-If your idea of a good time is leafing through the Spruce catalog while "watching" a TV show with your wife. :rolleyes:

-If you install an air conditioner in your garage (hey I live in AZ!)

Dan B

Last edited:
162: You add a new color to your vocabulary, "vinyl blue" and it becomes your favorite. (does anyone know where I can get that color for my exterior?)

163: You buy a new house just so you have a place to build.

164: Your broker utters the letters "RV" with venom.

You know you are an RV builder when:

You convince your wife that she would like an extra wide set of french doors at the top of the stairs - it was a tight fit but the fuselage came out.

You might be an RV builder if

177: Every piece of steel you own has a shiny polished spot on one corner.

Thanks for the invite to contribute to this, Doug. I was kinda' hesitant about it prior to the invitation... This thread is really good.

I have a few more at the house written by my wife as "You're an RV builders wife if..". I'll post in a couple of days when I get home.

178. The new house you just purchased specified a basement big enough to put an assembled RV in it and a large door in the rear wall to get it out.

Guilty!

- Alan

179 ....if you go to a romantic movie with Leonardo di Caprio about Howard Hughes and your GIRLFRIEND asks for two tickets for the RV-ator without realizing she said that!

Your key breaks, and...

Your key breaks, and rather than have a new one cut, you safety wire it...

Img_1599.jpg

Img_1605.jpg

George Jenson
Tucson, AZ
RV7 Standard Build
Empennage Complete, wing kit due late March

You Might be an RV builder if..

1. Your wife asks you if you are ever going to do anything around the house again.. ever. And you reply that "ever is a long time".

2. Your Van's and Spruce catalogs rest on the back of your toilet.

3. You have ever taken a picture of a guy taking a picture of your airplane.

4. Your hate fiber-glass!

You might be an RV builder if...

You've read all the posts in this thread, and don't laugh because it's all true.

...Yeah, I've got proseal in the fridge, so what?

You might be an RV builder if?

After reading the post about drilling your finger, you go to the shop and promptly drill your finger...Makes typing difficult.

Steve Mills
RV-10 40486
Wings

Moving

#187: If you've ever moved to a new house and had your shop set up and working a full 6 months before having a couch, a dining table or a non-futon bed!

You might be an RV builder if......

You have started to use the " 5 years from whenever you ask " reply to colleagues asking about progress.........
You know that Primer Wars doesn't refer to a new TV show, film or book........
You don't dare lower your bike from the roof of the Garage ceiling on your own as it's hanging right ABOVE your QB wings and fuselage...... and you are starting to realise that its in a VERY BAD place...sorry got to go right NOW.... :eek:

flydjd said:
You have started to use the " 5 years from whenever you ask " reply to colleagues asking about progress.........
ROFL, I've already started "3-5 years" and I haven't bucked a durn rivet yet!

Your friends ask:

Your friends ask:
So......how much longer till you finish?
Is your wife going to ride in that thing with you?
Are you building a model or a real airplane that you will be able to ride in?
Isn't that what John Denver was flying?

that got really old, FAST...

That last question is really thorn under my fingernails ... I'm willing to bet that half the people I know who heard I was building my own aircraft said something like "don't pull a John Denver" ... or something similar. :mad: I then proceeded with a detailed account of the mistakes that were actually made that day ... they always got quiet after that.

I know .. not related to the thread .. but just nice to see I'm not the only one to hear comments like that from acquaintances.

You've been known to say, "Hey honey, guess what you just bought me for my birthday in 2010?" (because your next 3 birthdays are already accounted for!)

#191 If your girlfriend washes your clothe along with rivets, clecos and a blue Sharpie all in one load. I figure she would check my pockets for phone numbers anyways!

#192 if you walk around with small cuts all over you fingers and hands

#193 if you spend as mush time building as you do on these forums

By the way my standard answer to how much and how long is "Hope no more that 5 years and no more that 100K". That way if I am below those numbers, I win. :D

#194 Your first post on VAF is to this thread.
#195 You've already started telling people about your plans to build an RV before ordering anything.
#196 You're still telling your wife that you aren't sure whether or not you want to build an airplane to get her used to the idea.
#197 When you get bored studying for your checkride (in a couple weeks), you create a powerpoint slide with paint scheme inspiration photos.

-- bill
Portland, OR
taking Synergy Air's intro class tomorrow...

You might be an RV builder if....

#198 The only airplanes in your flight simulator are RV's.
#199 You are introduced to the 'Appropriate Use' internet policy at work for downloading every RV video you can find...

#200 You buy a house because it has a walk out basement that is big enough for your project.
#201 Your stock answer is "with a chain saw to the wall" when people ask how your getting your plane out of the basement!
#202 Alternate answer.... "its easy, fly up the step and take a left at the top"
#203 you ask the 777 captain how his short field landing compares to your RV!

Rivet Regret

204) you have regret for rivets you drill out, cut too short or drop and can't find because they will never be part of a flying airplane.

I know

Bob Axsom said:
204) you have regret for rivets you drill out, cut too short or drop and can't find because they will never be part of a flying airplane.
(#204.B) I believe a bit of the dreamer lurks within you Bob. So it follows. Upon reaching for a fastener or other item contained within its assigned bin, have you silently asked "Which among all these screws will be the fortunate one and spend the rest of its days...experiencing the miracle of flight?"

Bob and Rick:

You guys need some help! :D Let's hope your aero medical examiner doesn't read this.

Jekyll

205. You hold off going to the bathroom until it is "critical" because you have ONLY 20 more holes to drill, deburr, dimple, and rivet.

206. You spend all your time on the plane... you know this how... a bird has established a nest in your bike shoes on the other side of the garage!

thumb.jpg

207. People mistake your house for an aluminum scrap yard due to that big pile of scrap airplane parts in your back yard.

208. When you get off of an airline and walk by the pilot, you dig out a copy of Kit Airplanes with an RV on the cover and say "Wouldn't you rather be flying this?!"

209. You can rattle off the alleged issues with an O-320-H2AD.

210. You keep a copy of the preview plans next to your easy chair in front of the TV.

211. You think of prop spinners when being intimate with the wife.

212. You start practicing the RV Grin before you pop that first rivet.

213. When you write your weekly capsule reports at work, you include an update on your airplane.

214. Your right arm (left arm in you are a lefty) is bigger than your left from all the riveting and squeezing you have done.

215. Your wife Googles you and finds three hundred posts you have made on various RV message boards.

216. When your parents ask for your recommendation to where to move to in their retirement, you recommend a place near a nice airport about 500 miles away, as that will make a nice trip in your airplane.

217. You actually know the difference between an AN426AD3-4 and an AN470AD3-4.

218. You are a veteran of the Primer Wars.

#219: Your 4-year-old asks "Daddy, does everyone have an airplane in their garage?"

Gotta change

osxuser said:
ROFL, I've already started "3-5 years" and I haven't bucked a durn rivet yet!
I've been using 2 years for the past 3, I think I'll have to change that to 5.
KC

RV6 Spartanburg said:
You have a child in order to reach small spaces with bucking bar.
Wow. Now that right there might have just overturned Jen's/my decision not to have kids...

... you have one of those elastic pressure bands around both of your elbows because of squeezing rivets during one of those rare "riveting marathons".

I am setting here with a wrist brace as I type this.

Tbone said:
... you have one of those elastic pressure bands around both of your elbows because of squeezing rivets during one of those rare "riveting marathons".
It was aggravated some much during my last sanding session (wheel pants and fairings - paint prep) that I quite working on my plane and have been resting my wrists for the last month. :eek:
Of course it doesn't help that I work with computers on my day job. :(

Kent

Yes but

dan said:
Wow. Now that right there might have just overturned Jen's/my decision not to have kids...

When you have the RV finished then you can use it to justify to your mother (and in-law) your position.

I.e..."Oh I'd love to have kids but...we only have a 2 seat airplane"....:)

My approach was slightly different and when like this "hey Marci...do you want kids?"..."NO" she said..."Ok neither do I wanna go out on a date?"

I'd discovered she liked airplanes in the previous conversation...:)

Frank and Marci
Married 7 years and 2 weeks..:)

Dan,
Have kids it's a blast.
PS your directions to Aircraft Spruce were on the money last month.
Now I understand the happy cow commercial. Happy cows live in Southern Ca.

...you decide to rebuild the aluminum "poop-scooper"....and use flush rivets to speed up your flight around the yard...

TerryWighs said:
...you decide to rebuild the aluminum "poop-scooper"....and use flush rivets to speed up your flight around the yard...
Where you looking at my web site?

I must be a builder....

Several years ago I sold an old car. Two owners later, I got a phone call asking me if I built airplanes. I said "yes, why?"
He said, " I bought a car that you used to own and noticed the rear view mirror was attached with flush aircraft rivets."

Back