Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-09-2006, 12:30 PM

Default Thanks!

Jekyll,
I've also got some of the ACID-8 that I've used on other things. I was planning on trying that on a test piece. Thanks for the feedback on this product and the temperature issue.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymustangs
Jekyll,
Thanks for the feedback on this product and the temperature issue.
The saying goes that "necessity is the mother of invention" but my experience tells me that motherhood, relative to invention, is really a triumvirate. Necessity, combined with laziness and spend thrift are the mothers of invention!

Jekyll
Old 03-09-2006, 01:03 PM

Default Rattle Cans

I have used the MarHyde rattle cans exclusively on my SB 7. I used about a six-pack on the emp/wings and I think a second six-pack will be enough to finish the rest. I've primed all the non-Alclad parts, the cockpit interior skins plus the tailcone area. Although I try to spray when it's warm, sometimes I've had no choice but to do it when it's cold. It doesn't seem to hurt it; just takes longer to dry.

... Bill
http://www.pilotbill.com
Old 03-09-2006, 07:59 PM

Default coming to a theater near you... Primer Wars!

We're most of the way through the empennage now and I've been using the NAPA 7222 which is their self etching Zinc-Chromate. It's kind of light brown in color with a hint of green. I've experimented with different methods of application, and it seems that scuffing the surface with a scotchbrite (maroon colored ones) and then cleaning with isopropyl alcohol or thinner promotes good adhesion. It also needs longer to dry than regular gray auto primer. It doesn't really matter what temp I spray at, but it does like curing in a warm room. I've been spraying outside under cover using my home made PVC rack to hold parts, and it's working great. However the paint likes to see about 80 degrees for about 24-48 hours to cure well.

It's pretty sturdy stuff once it's fully cured. I've used about 4 cans so far, and I've got the left elevator left to do. Won't take much for that. I'm figuring about 5 cans for the empennage. It's $7.99 a can unless you can get them to give you a discount for bulk or being a mechanic.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:37 AM

that's weird. i've been using 7220 since the beginning as well, and mine is very grey in color, and dries in about 10 minutes. i used 7 cans on the emp, and i'm 2 can's in to the wings. i buy it in bulk from NAPA for $26/box of six. i don't think it's a zinc chromate...self etching, yes. i do use the exact same method of cleaning and application, and it works great!
920-216-3699
RV-7, 5 yr build, flew it 68 hours, sold it, miss it.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:52 AM

i buy mine for $26/box of six. $4.34/can, that's with tax. i do have to order it from my local NAPA store since they don't stock it. it's always here the next day though.
920-216-3699
Old 03-10-2006, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjensen
i buy mine for $26/box of six. $4.34/can, that's with tax. i do have to order it from my local NAPA store since they don't stock it. it's always here the next day though.
Chad--is this the regular large quantity price or a sale price? I got one can for about that price last October when NAPA had it all on sale, but I asked about quantity a week ago and they only said that in a case, the per can price would be $1 less ($6.99 vs. $7.99). Give me something I can take to my dealer to make him give me that price too!

Donation reminder: Jan. 2022
Old 03-10-2006, 11:08 AM

steve, i'll check to see if i still have a receipt from my last purchase. if i don't have it, i will probably buy another case next week. i usually keep all my receipts for the RV, so it should be in my file. let ya know tonight...
920-216-3699
Old 03-17-2006, 09:33 PM

sorry steve, i forgot about this until i went to pick up another case of six cans today. my last purchase of six was $25.72...boy was i in for a suprise today!!! $49.56!!! i don't know what happened between november and today, but it's up to $7.60/can before tax.
920-216-3699
Old 03-17-2006, 11:35 PM

Default Sw 988

yeah,... I think I just paid $8.50 a can( Sherwin Williams 988 self etch primer) for 12 of them, and some jet sealer for roughly the same per can. When I called to price it out( it's a long drive to get to the store), they quoted me $4.50/can. When I arrived some 40 miles later, the salesgirl said she had made a mistake, and the manager absolutely would NOT sell the cans for that low a price. Doubt I'll be driving all the way there anymore anyway for some $8.50/can stuff!

Jeff
-8 wings