- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-15-2021, 02:06 PM

Default Day trip to Key West

Planning a VFR flight, with flight following, from KPMP (Pompano Beach) to KEYW for a first time day trip and asking for suggestions to facilitate arrival into Key West. Planning on following the VFR flyway beneath MIA bravo on the west side and continuing on the west side of the Keys. I was wondering if ATC gives a preferred routing around Key West NAS and hands you off to the KEYW tower or your told to squawk VFR and contact the tower on your own. Any suggestions appreciated to make the first time trip smooth.

And....any suggestion for during our approximate six hour visit@@

Thanks,
Magni M16 - Built & Flying - Sold
Magni M24 (Rotax 915) - Built & Flying
RV-12 - Built - Sold
Rotorway 162F Built - Sold
Old 04-15-2021, 02:37 PM

When I went, I called Navy Approach and they took me through their airspace and handed me off to the tower. When I left, Navy told me to stay VFR and clear of them. Long story short, it depends if they’re busy or not.

www.pflanzer-aviation.com
Paid through 2043!
Lund fishing Boat, 2017, GONE FISHING
RV-12 - Completed 2014, Sold
427 Shelby Cobra - Completed 2012, Sold
F1 EVO - partially completed, Sold
F1 Rocket - Completed 2005, Sold
RV-7A - Partially completed, Sold
RV-6 - Completed 2000, Sold
Long-EZ - Completed 1987, Sold

Old 04-15-2021, 09:00 PM

Make sure you get back to the FBO in Key West (Signature) well before they leave for the day. They charge a $100 fee to open the gate if not during their normal hours, assuming you can get them on the after hours phone number. They are extremely expensive and of a the FBOs I have visited they are squarely in last place. In Key West they are your only choice. I would recommend you fly to Marathon and get lunch (and cheaper fuel) before making a trip out to circle the Dry Tortugas national park.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1rocket View Post
When I went, I called Navy Approach and they took me through their airspace and handed me off to the tower. When I left, Navy told me to stay VFR and clear of them. Long story short, it depends if they’re busy or not.
Same thing when I flew to KEYW.
I also stayed west of MIA airspace then flew over all the keys all the way down. Coming home, I took a left at Marathon and cut across the water to the mainland.