camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Ongoing Maintenance Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2021, 09:46 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill.hutchison View Post
Good to know. Might be interesting to upgrade just to teach m'self a little fiberglas technique.

I wonder if there are any basic fiberglas kits/projects out there designed to teach a little bit about it, the same way Vans has the toolbox kits?

Vans tech support was very helpful and gave me some guidance about this - the original bracket type that I have has apparently all but been stricken from history. I get the idea about upgrading to make things easier in the future and maybe that's something to consider. Gives me an excuse to consider changing some of paint scheme via the nosewheel fairing....hmmmm....
Hey Bill - Fiberglas repair, although sometimes messy, really isn’t that hard, and there are lots of ways to do it “right”. And a wheel pant is - for all practical considerations - a practice project in and of itself! I’m pretty much a duffer at the art, but get good enough results that people don’t know it - take a look at the article I wrote on fixing a torn-up pant a few years ago - it will give you some basic idea of what is easily done:

https://www.kitplanes.com/easy-wheelpant-repair/

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com

Last edited by Ironflight : 04-16-2021 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
Hey Bill - Fiberglas repair, although sometimes messy, really isn’t that hard, and there are lots of ways to do it “right”. And a wheel pant is - for all practical considerations - a practice project in and of itself! I’m pretty much a duffer at the art, but get good enough results that people don’t know it - take a look at the article I wrote on fixing a torn-up pant a few years ago - it will give you some basic idea of what is easily done:

https://www.kitplanes.com/easy-wheelpant-repair/

Paul
That was inspiring!

Got me thinkin'....

Last edited by Ironflight : 04-16-2021 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:55 AM

Bill, Looking at your picture, it looks like you still have the old style fork in service.

Check out SB 07-11-09 here.... https://www.vansaircraft.com/service...sort=undefined
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2020 =VAF= Dues PAID
Save the Planet…...............It’s the only place that has beer!
Old 04-19-2021, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Bill, Looking at your picture, it looks like you still have the old style fork in service.

Check out SB 07-11-09 here.... https://www.vansaircraft.com/service...sort=undefined
Yeah, I'm aware - thank you, though. I've had a lengthy discussion with the previous owner and a couple of experts. I'm debating whether or not to go through the process on this.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:47 AM

Hi Bill, Noel here. I need to update my personal info here, but...
I have relocated to St Mary's Airport (2W6) and have both my -6A and my C 150 in hangars here.

When I built my -6A, it used the "old style" nose wheel fork and wheel pants. It flew in that configuration until Van's released the newer style nose wheel fork and attachment method for the nose wheel pants. I procured all the required parts and new fiberglass wheel pants. The new style is much easier to remove and the removal of the nose wheel is no longer required.

You are welcome to stop by and see both types of mounting methods for the pants and the differences in the nose wheel fork if intrested.
flying
Old 04-19-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm aware - thank you, though. I've had a lengthy discussion with the previous owner and a couple of experts. I'm debating whether or not to go through the process on this.
I agree with you. I think most of the problems were caused by changing from the Cleveland nose wheel, axle style change, and finally the sealed bearings.

There was more of a binding problem than a clearance problem..... especially if you stay on blacktop.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2020 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 04-19-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I agree with you. I think most of the problems were caused by changing from the Cleveland nose wheel, axle style change, and finally the sealed bearings.

There was more of a binding problem than a clearance problem..... especially if you stay on blacktop.
I had a talk with Vans tech support about it. You can't change out the fork without changing the gear leg, so that isn't an option. From what they describe, removing the gear leg doesn't seem that difficult - pull the bolt up near the motor mount, pull the thing out of the socket.

I've had AntiSplat do the bearing mod (because I like maintenance-free options) and I've added the NoseJob to it as well, so I'm getting the impression that doing the gear leg is a belt-and-suspenders situation. Still - probably would be valuable to a future buyer, and it's not THAT bad in the grand scheme of things so I may do it later on when I've got the airplane out of service for the next CI and/or panel upgrade, whichever comes first.

I do stay on paved/improved runways.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:33 PM

Quote:
I had a talk with Vans tech support about it. You can't change out the fork without changing the gear leg, so that isn't an option. From what they describe, removing the gear leg doesn't seem that difficult - pull the bolt up near the motor mount, pull the thing out of the socket.

I've had AntiSplat do the bearing mod (because I like maintenance-free options) and I've added the NoseJob to it as well, so I'm getting the impression that doing the gear leg is a belt-and-suspenders situation. Still - probably would be valuable to a future buyer, and it's not THAT bad in the grand scheme of things so I may do it later on when I've got the airplane out of service for the next CI and/or panel upgrade, whichever comes first.

I do stay on paved/improved runways.
The leg just needs to be sent in to be cut off and re-threaded.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2020 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 04-20-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
The leg just needs to be sent in to be cut off and re-threaded.
It depends on which gear leg you have. I have the one that you can do that with. Some require replacement.