Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2021, 01:30 PM

Default Updating old operating limitations

Pardon in advance if my search engine skills are lacking here. Is there a documented way of having existing operating limitations updated to the most recent verbiage? My plane has the old version that explicitly defines the test area and requires re-inspection for major changes.

Tangentially, are there any catches I should be aware of before going down this route? Is there anything in the new verbiage that would be more restrictive than what I have now?
Old 04-02-2021, 02:10 PM

Any DAR with the proper function code (147 for DAR-T or 57 for DAR=F) can amend you operating limitations. It's strictly a paperwork function. The aircraft must have a current condition inspection.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 04-02-2021, 02:45 PM

Read the new ops limits before you change...

You'll still need an inspection after major changes.

Ed
Too many safety posts purged without notice...
Old 04-02-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wischmeyer View Post
Ed
Explain Please?.......

The paragraph concerning major changes hasn't changed in over 15 years.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>

Last edited by Mel : 04-02-2021 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Explain Please?.......

The paragraph concerning major changes hasn't changed in over 15 years.
Mel is correct. Unless you have a REALLY old set of operating limitations, there will be no reinspection of the aircraft required after incorporation of a major change. This has been the case since about 2000 or 2001. Might have even been before that.

Joe
Old 04-03-2021, 12:03 PM

My bad, I guess. The FAA guy did spend a lot of time looking over the entire engine installation in addition to data plate and paperwork...
Too many safety posts purged without notice...
Old 04-03-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wischmeyer View Post

Ed
Is a (generic/boilerplate/template) for the EAB op lims currently issued available somewhere?

Peter
Old 04-04-2021, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc View Post
Is a (generic/boilerplate/template) for the EAB op lims currently issued available somewhere?
Peter,

Yes, there is. While it is a bit cantankerous to figure out, the draft operating limitations can be found in appendix D of FAA Order 8130.2J. You can find the order via the FAA website at www.faa.gov.

To find the specific limitations that apply to amateur-built aircraft, look under the "Certification Basis" column for "191". Sometimes a particular limitation will apply to all aircraft certificated under 21.191, and sometimes you'll see a letter behind the 191. If there's a letter, you want to look at 191(g), which is the specific amateur-built paragraph in 21.191.

Yeah, clear as mud, right? But you asked!! This is the official guidance that inspectors (including DARs) use when issuing airworthiness certificates and operating limitations.

Joe
Old 04-04-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorris View Post
Peter,

Yes, there is. While it is a bit cantankerous to figure out, the draft operating limitations can be found in appendix D of FAA Order 8130.2J. You can find the order via the FAA website at www.faa.gov.

To find the specific limitations that apply to amateur-built aircraft, look under the "Certification Basis" column for "191". Sometimes a particular limitation will apply to all aircraft certificated under 21.191, and sometimes you'll see a letter behind the 191. If there's a letter, you want to look at 191(g), which is the specific amateur-built paragraph in 21.191.

Yeah, clear as mud, right? But you asked!! This is the official guidance that inspectors (including DARs) use when issuing airworthiness certificates and operating limitations.
Excellent, thank you!

I have older (circa 2009) op lims that prohibit aerobatics and am considering re-doing some testing to have certain maneuvers allowed, but I understand I’ll likely get the full re-write so want to understand what I’m getting into ...
Peter

Edit: Follows clear directions from Joe above, tries to decipher Appendix D of 8130.2J as suggested. Shakes head. So yeah, *that* was unnecessarily complex. But thanks again anyway ... I’ve gained new respect for how DARs and FSDO folks have to do their jobs ...

Last edited by pjc : 04-04-2021 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:22 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc View Post
Excellent, thank you!

I have older (circa 2009) op lims that prohibit aerobatics and am considering re-doing some testing to have certain maneuvers allowed, but I understand Iíll likely get the full re-write so want to understand what Iím getting into ...
Peter

Edit: Follows clear directions from Joe above, tries to decipher Appendix D of 8130.2J as suggested. Shakes head. So yeah, *that* was unnecessarily complex. But thanks again anyway ... Iíve gained new respect for how DARs and FSDO folks have to do their jobs ...
You think thatís bad? In the REALLY old days, inspectors just seemed to make up whatever Ops Limits they wanted. I have a copy of the original Ops Lims for the RV-1 (they were re-issued every year because thatís what the rules were at the time - and every year, they were different....). The one I remember best was the last one, which read ďSmoking in the cockpit is prohibited while aircraft is in flightĒ. It was like number 8 - thatís how few there were. But for some reason, it was important enough to the inspector to make it one of the very few limitations. And I donít even know if Van smoked.....
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com