- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-06-2021, 04:27 PM

Default Canopy Release Positioning

The canopy release handle is not centered on the panel if the rod from the mechanism is positioned perpendicular to the subpanel.

Does anybody know if the canopy release handle can be located on the centerline of the panel instead of right of center, ie, not perpendicular to the subpanel but rather at a slight angle?

Pictures of one of the Van's airplanes looks as though they did this but I do not know to what effect with respect to operation of the release mechanism.

Thanks,

S
Slo Fuse Completed 3-2-21
Wiring and Avionics Begun 3-3-21
QB Wings delayed until ?
Finish Kit expected 7-21
Thunderbolt EXP119 expected 7-21
2021 Dues Paid
Reserved: N52XL
Old 03-07-2021, 05:52 AM

Default Location, Location, Location...

I left the canopy release handle for both of my RV-7's and the current RV-14 project in the box...

After experiencing a partial canopy opening early on, I realized that I do not have the strength, even when boosted by adrenaline, to open a canopy in flight.

There is an argument to be made that it's useful for removing/reinstalling the canopy for maintenance, painting, etc. However, considering the nature and frequency of those exercises, removing two AN-4 bolts or similar is not that much of an inconvenience.

2020 RV-14 QB -- Under construction - Tailcone & Empennage Complete.
2018 RV-7 QB -- Built, Flying
2007 RV-7 QB -- Built, Drowned, Resurrected and flying
1998 RV-8 QB -- Started, Sold
1986 Mooney 205SE
1980 Mooney 231

Aided and abetted building a number of other RV's.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:07 AM

Yes, the handle may be "centered" on the panel. The pushrod actually moves through an arc anyway. Over the 25+ years that I owned my -6, I found the release to be quite handy for maintenance.

As far as opening the canopy in flight, if the hinge pins are released and the latch opened, the canopy will be gone. I will lift from the front.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 03-07-2021, 07:55 AM

Default One more thing...

"...the canopy will be gone..."

I also did the calculus of how often I wear a parachute - which is 0.00% of the time. So having a removable canopy, to facilitate the egress of my headless torso just didn't make sense for me.

Would rather save the weight and leave more room for avionics.

1986 Mooney 205SE
1980 Mooney 231

Last edited by bjdecker : 03-07-2021 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:00 PM

I have been thinking about what to do with mine on the 14a. Seems like it would be handy like Mel and others have said for periodic maintenance. Although on 14 itís a bit easier to access avionics with canopy tipped up.
What Iím also wondering about is the benefit in a upset condition on the ground. Impossible to predict damage in a tip over etc - but might give another option for removing the canopy in an emergency. And in those cases any extra option would seem to be beneficial. Even if it was only to allow partial opening to get out.
Iím planning to put it just to the right a bit of a G5 in the center.
On wheels and making progress
182 Sold 😂

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=tfoster
Old 03-08-2021, 01:57 AM

Ours in in the box as well, we just use bolts with castle nuts and cotter pins. Easy to get to for inspections etc.

Donated in 2020
Old 03-08-2021, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoster100 View Post
I have been thinking about what to do with mine on the 14a. Seems like it would be handy like Mel and others have said for periodic maintenance. Although on 14 itís a bit easier to access avionics with canopy tipped up.
What Iím also wondering about is the benefit in a upset condition on the ground. Impossible to predict damage in a tip over etc - but might give another option for removing the canopy in an emergency. And in those cases any extra option would seem to be beneficial. Even if it was only to allow partial opening to get out.
Iím planning to put it just to the right a bit of a G5 in the center.
I installed mine for the same reasons.
2017 Waco YMF-5
Kit # 140694
Started October 22, 2019
Engine, prop, and cowling to complete
2021 Dues Paid
Old 03-08-2021, 09:00 AM

Headless torso? Have you heard of slow fight? My head stays on at 60 mph. Even all the way up to 90! It might be useful to eject the canopy if there was a chance you might be upside down after landing. Getting yourself out might be faster.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:30 AM

Default Tipup Canopy Removal in Flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floog View Post
Headless torso? Have you heard of slow fight? My head stays on at 60 mph. Even all the way up to 90! It might be useful to eject the canopy if there was a chance you might be upside down after landing. Getting yourself out might be faster.
Imagine a scenario in flight where you decide that removing the tip-up canopy and jumping out is your only path to survival; what comes to mind? Busted through the bottom of a loop/split S and the tail came off? Wing folded up? Propeller/Engine departed the airframe?

The dynamics of and forces applied to you and the airframe in these scenarios are going to preclude any reasonable controllable actions by you. Even if you are able to get the aircraft to straight and level, just above Vs0 - what then? Does the canopy detach perfectly and pirouette end-over-end into the slip-stream (or into the tail), or do the struts hang up on one side and make the canopy do stupid things? Oh, did you remember your parachute?

Yes, I have heard of slow flight and I practice it regularly. My head stays attached at 157 MPH (inside of a SHOEI helmet on a 2009 CBR1100RR) -- until it hits or is hit by something other than air.

Ever seen a guillotine in operation? The blade moves at about 11 miles per hour from a 4 ft height...and yes its sharp, about the same thin-ness as the leading edge of the canopy frame.

So for me, the canopy stays attached, all the way to the scene of the crash.

1986 Mooney 205SE
1980 Mooney 231

Old 03-08-2021, 10:03 AM

Far as I know, no one's been decapitated by a canopy coming off in flight. I do know of pilots trapped inside of an upside down RV on the ground with no way to open the canopy. Ugly scenario. On a brighter note....keep the blue side up!