Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2021, 01:45 AM

Default Deafening silence in Aurora

Itís been nearly 11 months since I ordered a QB RV7a fuselage, In Jan when it was due I was told it was in the states. Then In feb the word was mine was one of the defective units and couldnít get anymore info than that. The President of Vans called me to confirm Iíd be willing to take it with the corrosion and a 2k credit, I agreed. A month more has gone and nothing, obviously my kit has gone to someone else and the only answer you get is ďwe donít have a clue but probably fallĒ. I find it unbelievably difficult to believe they donít, at this point, know exactly whatís going on and how long itís going to take to fix. If they donít they certainly should. I did receive my finish kit on time but itís got so many BOd parts itís useless right now. Has anyone else received any timing on this QB quickly becoming mess?

Gotta believe thereís more to the story. Very Frustrating
Old 04-16-2021, 04:19 AM

Default I feel Your Pain

but, manufacturing is screwed up all over the world. I typically buy over a million pounds of steel a year from Germany. With a 25% tariff. Now it's on allocation and I can't get delivery dates. Steel mills throughout the U.S. are all running at capacity and behind - so most of us manufacturers/suppliers end up paying premium freight to move product. Microchips (mostly from Asia) are in short supply and are impacting just about everything we still actually manufacture in the U.S. My wife works in a hospital that is once again at capacity with Covid patients. They're throwing money at nurses and staff and no one wants to put in any more OT - they're burned out. Think about what's really important. Hug your wife and kids. Do what you can on your project. I'm sure Van's wants to get your stuff to you, but they're probably feeling pretty helpless too.
Sorry for the rant. Just a little tired.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP
Old 04-16-2021, 05:35 AM

Watch what happens with the supply chain for everything this year. I am in the aerospace composites business and that is coming to a quick halt. We are all starting to exhaust supplies with no commitment date for supply.
I do not think any industry is immune and the china virus is making it way worse.
Iíve ordered piece parts from Vans in the past month and they have been responsive and had most everything in stock.
We are preparing for tough times ahead. I see no way around it.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:37 AM

Default Truck driver

Add to the issue. There's a shortage of truck drivers. Stuff eventually ends up in a truck. I have a Class A but no way I want to go back to driving.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:41 AM

But at least Vans could be transparent. If they are having supply issues, let it be known. If the supplier is not able to commit to a date, let us know. If it is because of corrosion issues for the quickbuild let us know. If it is because of internal staffing issues, same let us know. We may not like the answer, but at least we know why and that Vans is working on resolving what ever is in their control.

I agree the silence is deafening and very frustrating.

Last edited by RV10Pilot : 04-16-2021 at 09:41 AM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 04-16-2021, 10:21 AM

This interview gives a lot of insight into the issue.

https://www.kitplanes.com/vans-aircr...VlkIcNV8Fqi9AA
KITPLANES Contributing Editor
Old 04-16-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV10Pilot View Post
But at least Vans could be transparent. If they are having supply issues, let it be known. If the supplier is not able to commit to a date, let us know. If it is because of corrosion issues for the quickbuild let us know. If it is because of internal staffing issues, same let us know. We may not like the answer, but at least we know why and that Vans is working on resolving what ever is in their control.

I agree the silence is deafening and very frustrating.
https://www.vansaircraft.com/news/

https://vansairforce.net/community/s...ght=greg+hughs

https://www.kitplanes.com/vans-aircr...VlkIcNV8Fqi9AA

All posted within the past 4 weeks or so.......

Scott McDaniels
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 04-16-2021, 12:29 PM

I agree that there are problems outside of Vans control, however, they could do a better job of keeping the customers informed as to the status of kits that are on order. I ordered my 12iS wings back in November and I still don't have an expected ship date. I ordered all the other kits, powerplant, prop and avionics in December. I was told almost a month ago that the finish kit, power plant and prop were not delayed and were supposed to crate this week. I asked for an update last Tuesday and have yet to get a response.

Seems like they could hire someone , even a temp, to just handle keeping customers informed as to where their orders are in the chain. Would mean a lot to know that I'm number 34 on the list and then let me know when I move up. As it stands now I can't tell what the status of my kits is. It is made worse when I see people posting that they got their shipment notification for their wing kit which was ordered after mine was. Probably a reasonable explanation but makes me wonder if things aren't getting lost in all the confusion. I pre-paid for all my kits in full and at one point Vans showed that they were waiting on payment for the powerplant. They have since corrected that but makes me wonder how long I'd be kept waiting if I hadn't checked on it.

I did get the avionics so at least I have some things to look at and study while I wait.
N488ZC reserved

Last edited by rileyspoon : 04-16-2021 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Corrections
Old 04-16-2021, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
I apologize. The Kit Plane interview is exactly what I would expect. Transparent and honest. It is obvious that Vans is just as frustrated as are the customers.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:21 PM

Default Prop and Engine

Somehow Whirlwind and Lycoming have been able to deliver even though it was months after I ordered the QB kits. (I now have a nice decoration on the wall of my workshop of a prop) Yes I understand the kits are made in a foreign country but who was watching to insure the quality was kept up and in place? I manage and have managed manufacturing in Asia and always have several people there even if it was me to supervise the operations. Cheaper labor is not cheaper if QC is not monitored and supervised. A question needs to be asked, what else is not being monitored for quality control and assurance? Was a Vans employee there over the last year to insure quality procedures where in place?