camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 06-02-2022, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashpdman View Post
"I would also use this opportunity to throw the chrome cylinders away"
Really, not that I wouldn't like some of the Lycon CNC ported cylinders though. I've read chrome use more oil, but the tradeoff was no corrosion, ring wear vs. cylinder wear, and longer break-in. Am I thinking wrong, I intend on reusing them? They appear to be in very good shape.
I agree with sending you're case in for OH even with low hours and good appearance; DIVCO will boil the case out and inspect all of your passages and clearances, along with performing any service bulletins and replacing hardware that should be redone at OH. It's worth it to me just for the peace of mind.

As for chrome cylinders, I've had them and gotten good life out of them. However, the cost of sending cylinders out for overhauling versus buying a new when viewed over the life of the engine makes new cylinders a pretty good value. But if you're going to do your own inspection and reassembly, there's not wrong with sticking with chrome.

Do be careful when honing to only remove the minimum amount of material.

- RV10, N762G, Build in progress.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:35 PM

Hi,

For J4A5 engine, what i have on my airplane

Don't forget to make upgrade for AN fuel pump when update is done, you should have it on the dataplate RG17980 /M for modified...

Also you have to make lycoming SB342G bulletin for injection tubing, and i would recommend to change the injection tubing... see my post in same section about crack i got in flight with my airplane...

thanks for your post in forum

Louis
Old 09-28-2022, 03:19 PM

Opinion please. Building the narrow deck IO-540. Do you replace the cylinder hold down (nuts) fasteners? I'd like to hear from the folks that have built multiple engines. Have you experienced any failures reusing the old fasteners? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-09-2022, 08:05 AM

Default Narrow deck cylinder nuts

I have asked several folks and the consensus is that the nuts are fine to clean up and re-use. They are only available from Lycoming and the cost is $1800 to replace them. I will reuse mine.
Old 10-09-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashpdman View Post
Opinion please. Building the narrow deck IO-540. Do you replace the cylinder hold down (nuts) fasteners? I'd like to hear from the folks that have built multiple engines. Have you experienced any failures reusing the old fasteners? Thanks in advance!
I have rebuilt 2 ND engines and on both re-used the barrel nuts. One has 850 hours and the other 275. On the 540, a couple of the nuts had wear in the cam area and replaced them with used nuts from a reseller. By Lyc prices, you would think they are made from Platinum.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 10-09-2022 at 08:49 AM.