What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A Retrospective Thanks

rv8guy

Well Known Member
Although I have been flying for over a year, the addition of my paint makes me want to thanks a few folks agaain.

See Doug's PIctures http://picasaweb.google.com/VansAirForce/RV8_Grady_040407

Going way back, the original RV-8 list with Brian Denk, Randy Lervold, Danny King, Kevin Horton and others was just amazing. It is still there and grown! and at least two of thiose guys are on plane nnumber 2. Some of you rember Phil Arter, whose early website showed what crafstmanship looked like.

Brain ann Randy gave us all very detailed early flight reports when there were only a handful of these things, 8's flying.

Dougs website provided so many ideas, links, and just fun reading, I am afraid I now have an addiction!

Paul Dye flew his a little before me, and I have since followed his amazing stories and travel logs a little closer to most. I had decided on Grady for Paint, but then I saw his paint job, and was really happy!

On paint, the guys here at Athens have been giving me grief for going all the way to Texas for the work. I have consistently told them that Grady always seemed to want to do what I wanted, others always tried to talk me into something else. Yesterday, a number of them dropped by, and once they got over the AWESOME paint job, I just said, "and that's whay I took it to Dallas!" Thanks again Grady and GLO Custom.

For you new guys--hang in there. I did mine pretty much with only family help, over 9 years (7.5 to first flight) with a full time job, and heavy travel schedule. It is so worth it. We suddenly have friends that we have never even met, and we recognize each other buy our planes. Example, I have never met Doug Reeves, but when I tok my plane in to Grady, I did recognize his cowling (no plane, just cowl) in Grady's hangar!

Anybody near Athens, come by and see us.

I tend to be a reader, not a poster, but every once in a while, you will hear from me.

Almost forgot--Thanks to Alex again for transition training, and to Kahuna for helping get over my fear of being upside down ( somewhat over).

Thanks Everbody

RV-8

Marshall,
That is one "stunning" paint job....
and the -8 is outstanding also!

I'm up in central Va, so we may run into each other in the Carolinas some time! You now know how small the states are with an RV...

Only thing wrong is, that paint scheme just "cries" for a big 4-blade prop and a belly scoop.

Congrats Marshal. Looks great.

Can you elaborate on the following.
1. WHen did they promise to take it and when did they actually take it
2. How long did they promise to have it, how long did they actually have it
3. Was the price exactly what you expected or where there add ons at the end?

Now lets go flying and have some fun.
Twist my arm and we will go tear her up some more. Twist twist..OK OK, I give. I Give. Ill do it :D

See ya,

Hey Marshall
It looks awesome! Now I have more incentive to come for a visit. Congratulations!

Jerry

Marshall, I absolutely LOVE your paint job - outstanding design, and as we both know, very well executed by Grady and Brandon...

Now get out there and travel!

Paul

Kahuna said:
Congrats Marshal. Looks great.

Can you elaborate on the following.
1. WHen did they promise to take it and when did they actually take it
2. How long did they promise to have it, how long did they actually have it
3. Was the price exactly what you expected or where there add ons at the end?

Now lets go flying and have some fun.
Twist my arm and we will go tear her up some more. Twist twist..OK OK, I give. I Give. Ill do it :D

See ya,
I got a delivery date back in October or so, and got it ther within one day--Feb 23rd.

It was there a few days longer then planned, but within the promised date, and both he and I had some travel conflicts. Worked out perfect. It was there about 6 weeks.

Price was exacly what we agreed to and I did have a number of suggestions that were incorporated with no problem.

I would liem to try a little formation with you guys. Hey, I can always be a static display! My schedule is awful through May, we'll see.

Your airplane's paint scheme is very impressive!

Can I just ask one more question? Are the stars/stripes vinyl, or is a mask/stencil technique used. I'm trying to decide how to best do this myself.

L.Adamson 6A

--- will have to call mine a P-38/AirCobra/B-25???? Something with a nose-wheel.... :D

L.Adamson said:
Your airplane's paint scheme is very impressive!

Can I just ask one more question? Are the stars/stripes vinyl, or is a mask/stencil technique used. I'm trying to decide how to best do this myself.

L.Adamson 6A

--- will have to call mine a P-38/AirCobra/B-25???? Something with a nose-wheel.... :D
everything is paint, and some masks were used.
For the real answer, Call GLO Custom

rv8guy said:
Going way back, the original RV-8 list with Brian Denk, Randy Lervold, Danny King, Kevin Horton and others was just amazing. It is still there and grown! and at least two of thiose guys are on plane nnumber 2. Some of you rember Phil Arter, whose early website showed what crafstmanship looked like.

Brian and Randy gave us all very detailed early flight reports when there were only a handful of these things, 8's flying.

Well shucks, thanks for the memories! GREAT looking airplane. The GLO dudes sure know their stuff! When I was looking for a painter, most shops would reply..."RV8? What's that?"

It sure has turned into a wonderful airplane and little did I know only the beginning of the Van's NextGens....-7, -9, -10, -12...-11?

I can hardly believe I'm working on the SEVENTH annual now. The airframe has held up well and I would not be surprised in the least to see these airplanes flying with ion propulsion 100 years from now. I'll just look down from my perch and grin knowing I had even a tiny part to play in it all.

Brian Denk said:
Well shucks, thanks for the memories! GREAT looking airplane. The GLO dudes sure know their stuff! When I was looking for a painter, most shops would reply..."RV8? What's that?"

It sure has turned into a wonderful airplane and little did I know only the beginning of the Van's NextGens....-7, -9, -10, -12...-11?

I can hardly believe I'm working on the SEVENTH annual now. The airframe has held up well and I would not be surprised in the least to see these airplanes flying with ion propulsion 100 years from now. I'll just look down from my perch and grin knowing I had even a tiny part to play in it all.
Brian, those early reports were sooo -- cool, made us all believe you know

7th annual!!! see you guys, he really was there way back when!

RV8GUY is first class

For those of you who don't personally know Marshall let me say he is a special kind of guy. I only knew of a very few and mostly inaccessible builders in my area when I started my 9A. Marshall invited me over to his house at a chapter meeting. I went over a number of times as my build progressed and he loaned me tools and gave me needed advice. He was the most helpful builder I communicated with over the four and a half years of my slow build. We had a tech counselor in the chapter who had built an award winning 6A but he showed very little interest in my project. Marshall always welcomed my visits and was willing to take the time to show me many of the little things we all need to know. His suggestions were invaluable.

I like my paint and I love my plane but it isn't the level of craftmanship of Marshall's. I told him the other day I would fly over to his new chapter's (recently formed at KAHN) pancake breakfast but I plan to park away from his plane. I don't want comparisons.

Great job Marshall,

Larry Dickinson
RV-9A 135 hours
KLZU

Back