What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glare Shield Covering

Jim P

Well Known Member
I'm looking for ways to cover my tipper glare shield and am leaning towards some sort of vinyl/ pleather. What do folks use for glue and the edge roll? Any good tricks out there?

Jim

I glued on leather (3M 777 adhesive or most any form of upholstery contact cement). For the edge roll, glued the same leather around a length of rubber hose, slit down the seam, then slipped over the edge of the glareshield.

Brian Denk said:
I glued on leather (3M 777 adhesive or most any form of upholstery contact cement). For the edge roll, glued the same leather around a length of rubber hose, slit down the seam, then slipped over the edge of the glareshield.
Good timing. I'm working on the same thing right now and just got off the phone with a local custom interior guy and he recommended the same stuff.

As for what material to cover it with, I bought a bunch of Velcro loop material that looks like it will work great.

Let me know if you want some, I have a BUNCH and would like to recover my cost for this stuff.

BTW, I drilled a hole in the glare shield for the GPS and XM radio antenna wires and now I can just Velcro the antennas to the glare shield.

For the front edge, go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and do a search on "protective edging", then scroll down to their product #9.

Good luck

I did install a layer of foam under the leather, but it's certainly not necessary. I used headliner foam, which is about 1/2" thick maybe. You can pull the leather down tight to make the leather more firm, or not and let it look/feel more plush.

I used some black naugahyde glued to that corrigated sidewall panel material from Airtex. I shaped it to fit the glareshield, then fastened it with velcro. The edge near the pilot was double rolled and cuffed to give it more support and a thicker finished appearance. My GPS antenna also keeps it in place. It works well because I can remove it easily if I need to replace UV destroyed Naugahyde, although it's still fine after three years.

Roberta

jsherblon said:
Actually, Naugas shed their hydes. They have a very interesting history.

Touche'

It's fun to laugh at work and have everyone look at you like your crazy, little do they know how crazy you are with that homebuilt airplane in the garage :eek: !!!

Great story on the Naugas :D

I use the rattle can flat black before the windscreen goes on. It is cheap and lasts. For the aft edge of the glareshield I use a auto-edge protector available at most body shops. It is self addesive also black.

Has anybody heard that vinyl is bad for plexiglass? I've heard it gasses and can cause crazing in the plexi. But then again, that might just be a rumor started by the leather industry to fight those pesky Naugas. ;)

Glareshield paint

I used Krylon Contractor Tread and Grip spray paint on the glareshield and the panel. Tough as nails once cured, has a matte finish and some texture to hide fingerprints.
Not as classy as leather, but cheap and light.
Ward
PS
Roberta,
Make sure you are cooking them thoroughly. There are some reports of botulism with undercooked ones. ;)

Any flat rattle can paint to match your interior works well. Auto door edge molding works well for the panel leading edge.

Back