Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Houston View Post
Yes, the 360s have a compression ratio of 8.5:1 which seems to be tolerant to burning mogas. Unfortunately the 390s are all higher though it appears if you are building an RV10 the 540s probably work with mogas as they are all 8.5 :1
I'm not running 8.5 pistons.

Again, you preach what you do not know. You can learn a lot more by asking questions than stating what you believe to be true. The world we live in is not black and white. In many cases the answer is "it depends" and you're going to have to learn some things to go further.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.

Last edited by airguy : 01-31-2021 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
I'm not running 8.5 pistons.

Again, you preach what you do not know. You can learn a lot more by asking questions than stating what you believe to be true. The world we live in is not black and white. In many cases the answer is "it depends" and you're going to have to learn some things to go further.
Everything he wrote was reasonable. He did make (and clearly state) the assumption that most 360's and 540's have standard 8.5:1 compression. That doesn't seem like a good reason to cut him off at the knees.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 02-01-2021, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
Everything he wrote was reasonable. He did make (and clearly state) the assumption that most 360's and 540's have standard 8.5:1 compression. That doesn't seem like a good reason to cut him off at the knees.
Ok, fair enough, let's try another run at this.

First off, I like the UL Power products, I'm not running one myself but I would (will?) certainly consider it on my next build. I think they have a good thing going there and the aviation market needs more choices for powerplants. But trying to justify or cheerlead for UL Power because they can burn mogas or cargas while Lycomings can't is simply not true. It's also not true that only Lycomings with 8.5:1 compression can burn mogas/car-gas.

The issue of burning non-100LL fuels in our large-bore slow turning engines is a multi-faceted beast that requires a fair deal of education, some good instrumentation, and in most cases some fuel system modification. It can be done - but not painlessly. You'll have to invest a few dollars and a whole lot of hours of research, but it can be done.

Yesterday I took off in my plane fueled with Walmart 91 premium car gas with ethanol, climbed direct to 17,000 feet running 29 degrees of timing and lean of peak the whole way - and my engine stubbornly refused to melt down. How did that happen? There are still a few tricks, you see...

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...650Z/73XS/KPIL

To the OP - I do apologize for coming across a little harsh, I'm edging into cranky old curmudgeon "Get off my lawn" territory these days. I need less coffee and more patience.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:06 PM

Thought I'd chime in for some unanswered questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieB View Post
That's fine, but how are they powered? What about the rest of the wiring, redundant batteries, dual alternators, etc. If it turns into a glider when you shut the master switch off, that's a problem. Just curious if they offer guidance on how to avoid that.
The alternator is a permanent magnet unit; it is a 30A or 50A (depending on your option) alternator produced by Cycle Electric in Ohio. From personal experience I can tell you that you can shut off the battery master and keep churning along just fine. If you trust magnetos, then you should be happy with this alternator; it's dirt simple. The alternator is literally a ring of magnets spinning around stator poles mounted on the end of the crankshaft. There are no gears or belts to fail. If the crankshaft is turning, the alternator is running.

No, it is not a closed loop system and does not use an O2 sensor. On my 2013 vintage UL350iS, fuel mixture is determined using throttle position, oil temp, air temp, fuel pressure, atmospheric pressure, and rpm.

Each of the inputs does have a default setting so that in the event of one or more of their failures, a fail-safe mixture is produced. I've tested this and it is a fairly rich mixture.

- RV10, N762G, Build in progress.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.

Last edited by rongawer : 02-01-2021 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:25 AM

Sounds like a motorcycle alternator.

Is the regulator a shunt type or PWM type ?