What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing build/stand question

ConAgraPilot

Hi fellow RVer's! I should be getting my slow build wings in the next two weeks. So I'm looking ahead at the stands. I already know how I'm going to fabricate them and the design I want. My question is this: What are the pro's and con's to building both wings at the same time? I have a 2 car garage and building one stand/wing at a time will give me plenty of room to build and park my toyota truck in the garage(a nice feature as the build will be going over winter) If it is better to build both wings at the same time I will just use the center of the garage, and lose the parking spot. So what do you guys/gals think? Most blogs seam to show both being built at the same time.

Michael

Pro: The build is faster
When the tanks are done, they are done.

Con: I can only take so much deburring and not seeing progress.

If you build one wing at a time, the second goes much faster in all respects.

I've dedicated my garage to the RV-3B for the duration, and am building both wings together. I'm doing it this way because I can't imagine having to think just how to do something all over again on the second wing later.

I'm now preparing to drill the leading edge skins to the nose ribs, with everything clamped up, clecoed and true (I hope!). So far having both in parallel has been the right decision.

But it might not the right decision for everyone. I'm retired and live alone so I can adjust my schedule and any driving to the weather, and don't have to share the decision-making. Also, an RV-3B needs a different work stand than the pre-punched aircraft, so that was a consideration.

Dave

I built one at a time, there were a lot of "lessons learned" from the first wing that made the second faster and easier. You can build a pretty decent wingstand from the crate materials in the wing kit.

Agreed that it really isn't too bad having to build them one at a time. I like the milestone of having one completed to look at, and the second is going much faster after all I learned. Even doing the fuel tank again shouldn't be too bad as I know what to expect. It would have made my garage very cramped to do both at once with all my benches, storage, tools, washer dryer, etc. I just hope I don't build the right wing so much better my plane flies in circles.

Chris

I built both wings at the same time and will do the same if I build again. Lots of little reasons for me as a first time builder. Opposite parts are clamped and shaped together so they're exactly the same. Reduced chance of using the other wings parts like ribs which are a little confusing at first. All the little jigs for solo riveting. All the alignments are identical. Other things that aren't big but enough that it made it easier for me to build both at the same time.

I built both wings at the same time. I would do a project on one wing and then it would go twice as fast on the second wing just because it was fresh in my mind. If I ever built again, I'd do it the same way.
Smilin' Jack

Stands

Thanks for all the replies! Thats what I love about this group! I have decided to go ahead and build both wings at the same time. The truck will have to spend the winter on the driveway:D

Easy peasy!

I did both wings at the same time in a single car garage..a 2 car garage? Luxury!!!

Enjoy the build!

DP

Back