What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-1, -3, and -4 in the EAA museum

cjensen

Well Known Member
Thought I'd give a sneak peak of how the RV display is coming together at the museum...

[/IMG]

In life there are trade-offs

It's a beautiful - no, it's an exceptional display of aviation history... but with it goes the public promise to Van that the RV-1 would be maintained in airworthy condition and available for him to fly at his wish. Is it worth the trade-off for a permanent display of this quality? Only Van can answer that question and I'm hoping he already has.

I hear ya Ernie...I *think*, but can't confirm that the display was being designed with input from Van...that's the last I heard about it anyway.

Looks nice but it is sure gonna be hard to fly with those rigging wires and building hooked to it...

Last edited:
Beautiful

But is it going to be difficult to remove it from those cables so that Van can fly it once in a while? Just sayin

Too cool Chad! That looks great...:cool:

Maybe it can be lowered during Airventure and Van can take it around the patch a couple of times... :D

Great looking display but I have to agree with some of the others - In my mind "Museum quality" is not the same thing as "airworthy".

Reassured

I was in the museum last winter during the 60th anniversary of EAA celebration and I was VERY concerned when the original RV-4 was replaced by the RV-1 and they did not even change the ID plaque. I thought how insulting that they did not show more respect for the most prolific line of homebuilt airplanes. The new display is a relief to see and I now know what I saw was in preparation for something much better. Now all they need is an example of THE most prolific homebuilt model ever, the RV-6(A).:)

RV-1, -3, and -4 At EAA Museum

Looks really nice Chad. Hope to be back there someday to see it in person. Hope you can utilize the RV-1 Tour DVD.

The display would look a little cleaner if the elevators were placed inline.........

It's like when a picture is posted of their sleek RV?? and the canopy is up, flaps are down and the rudder is offset.......

Doesn't look sleek.

Hanging it was a good choice. The gear legs are a bit, umm, asymmetrical...

mjrd41.jpg

...so it will display better with the weight off them.

Jay Pratt, Stan Tew, and yours truly spent most of a Saturday evening aligning and trimming wheel pants on crooked gear. The museum photos say the Three Man Averaging method does a pretty good job ;)

Looks great!

The display looks great!

Although it was pretty cool seeing it right outside my window here at Stanley International to. :)

030ery.jpg

Looks Great

My wife and I were at the museum yesterday and looked at the display in person. We thought it looked awesome! Those of you that will make it to ?Oshkosh 2013? will like the display IMHO.

RV-4

Does anyone have a photo of the RV-4 prototype instrument panel?

When the RV-4 first came out it was featured in Sport Aviation with an interview with Van. Does anyone have a digital copy of the article they could send me?

Thanks, John

Last edited:
When the RV-4 first came out it was featured in Sport Aviation with an interview with Van. Does anyone have a digital copy of the article they could send me?
Thanks, John

It should be available at the Sport Aviation pages on eaa.org

Thanks, John

I'll go shoot a pic of it today for you John. :cool:

As promised...a bit blurry, but best the iphone could do in low light even with the flash...obviously some things missing from when it flew.

RV-4panel_zpsf36b5e57.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back