What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron attach brackets

Rick B.

I'm getting ready to rivet the W-414PP outboard aileron attach bracket to the rear spar and the outer wing rib. Drawing 13A tells me to use an AN470AD-6 rivet thru the attach bracket and the outer wing rib but this leaves 1/4" of the shank exposed. That seems way too long to me. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Any ideas?

does this look ok?
5da0jl.jpg
[/IMG]

If you can (you might need an offset rivet set), try to orient the rivets so that the shop head is on the side of the thicker material, and the manufactured head is on the thinner material. So those two rivets near the edge would ideally be turned around. No biggie if you can't do that with what you have on hand, however. I wouldn't drill 'em out if you've already set 'em.

I'm at nearly this exact same point. In fact, I'll probably be riveting on my hinge brackets this afternoon, and maybe then I'll see something to contradict what I wrote above. :D

BTW, make sure those hinge brackets are perpendicular to the rear spar. Mine initially "tilted" in by quite a bit, and it sounds like that's a common thing. It took a little "coaxing" with a block of wood and a hammer on the end rib so that the pre-punched holes would line up AND the bracket would be perpendicular to the spar when cleco'd in place.

Last edited:
Back