What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trouble with Princeton fuel capacitor

RVTOY

Well Known Member
The right tank set up without a hitch. The left tank sender was manhandled trying to get it in place and was replaced with a new one so I don't know if it would have set up properly. The new one gets errant readings on the Dynon D-180. Tried what I call everything even jumped wires from right side and hooked up to the left sender. I have a feeling this may not be setup as a one point but setup as a multiple points sender that are not used in EFIS setup. The setup says to calibrate which I have done numerous times but it states it should take so many seconds to do so but I don't see any changes in the left blinking light to indicate a calibration was successful. The last attempt I made seemed to be going good until I had 10 gallons recorded on the 180 and then during the adding of two more gallons the resistant's reading dropped back down to original starting point. Any ideas would be helpful.

Test the output of the probe not hooked up to the Dynon first. Princeton probes output 0-5 volts, 0=empty, 5=full.
Red wire to clean 12 volts in
Black ground
Yellow output.
Redo the calibration procedure and verify the voltage output readings with a multimeter. This will at least isolate the probe from possible wiring or other issues for troubleshooting.
A single drop of water in the aluminum tube could ruin the calibration reading. Did you drill a small hole at the top of the bend? May be a small aluminum chip or other conductive debris floating around shorting the center brass tube to the aluminum tube.

Call Princeton. I ended up with a set of two bad converter boxes that have wreaked havoc on my perfectly planned and executed (yeah right) schedule as I tried and tried to calibrate. They are sending me new ones. If nothing else, they can walk you through some troubleshooting.

Hey Garmin...next generation should remove these hokey third party boxes from companies that only open for business 4 hours a day...if that. Put out your own probes and/or convert for vans cap senders in house.

Last edited:
princeton probe

David, the probes came premade by Princeton with top hole and all for the RV 7. Fresh fuel so chip is one possibility and I appreciate the test of the wiring which I will do today

Call Princeton. I ended up with a set of two bad converter boxes that have wreaked havoc on my perfectly planned and executed (yeah right) schedule as I tried and tried to calibrate. They are sending me new ones. If nothing else, they can walk you through some troubleshooting.

Hey Garmin...next generation should remove these hokey third party boxes from companies that only open for business 4 hours a day...if that. Put out your own probes and/or convert for vans cap senders in house.

I am trying these next:

IE P-300C

Van's sells em for $45 each.

Pat Hatch had great luck with them.

They work, just not as good as I would like.

I may be chasing an impossible dream but at least I will have given em all a chance.

Once or twice one of the Princeton converters has wigged out for 10-15 minutes and then came back to life.

Maybe I have been lucky so far, but my 5 setpoint unit has worked great and been very accurate.

I had a pair about a year ago that had the wrong value capacitor installed on the board. I do not know how many were built this way. Im fortunate that I have a drum of fuel and a way to get fuel in and out of the tanks easily for troubleshooting. We went back and forth changing the units from single point to 5 point versions before the problem was found. I recommend you talk directly with Todd. He is the man.

The first unit gave me fits with unreliable readings and max fuel level of 10.3 gallons on board. I worked with Todd on testing the second unit and we determined that there may be an issue. Todd sent me another unit and it its sensitivity reading on the D180 was no where the starting point of my good tank capacitor. I did what David said on a bench test after removing from tank. I'm getting good at removing and installing by the way! 12v to red, black to ground/meter and yellow to volt meter. Empty 224.3v full fuel in large jar 1.8v. Duh! Checked meter against other known values it read perfectly. Then tested first unit with near same results. Hooked up good tank wiring and it did not move fuel level to empty or full on the D180. Hard to believe to 2 bad units and that why I'm here to see if I'm missing something before I tell Todd of the grief.

Back