Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2020, 02:11 PM

Default New IO-390-EXP119 Option for RV-14/14A

We've just announced a new supported engine option for the RV-14/14A, utilizing the Lycoming Engines IO-390-EXP119 (a variant of the IO-390C). Check the news post at the link to get all the details, but the short version is more power, lower weight and improved performance! We will post additional information about this in the near future, so stay tuned. Engines may be ordered now, and the finish and firewall-forward kits will be available to order beginning September 1st.

The details: https://www.vansaircraft.com/2020/07...configuration/

We'll share some more details and photos/video of the new configuration soon.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Last edited by greghughespdx : 07-24-2020 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:46 PM

Default That's a big performance gain!

A 2.5% horsepower increase and 10 lb. engine weight decrease yields almost 15% in ROC and 6%-7% speed gain? Am I missing something?
1949 Cessna 140A - IRAN'd 2017
Dues paid for 2021
Old 07-22-2020, 02:59 PM

Very impressive - especially all the specific changes including Airflow Performance fuel injection.

Well done Van's!

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
RV-12iS in progress as of October 2020
Old 07-22-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatty View Post
A 2.5% horsepower increase and 10 lb. engine weight decrease yields almost 15% in ROC and 6%-7% speed gain? Am I missing something?
You're kind of missing something [] because calculating based solely on rated HP doesn't necessarily get you where you think it might. So it's not quite an apples/apples situation.

The EXP119 engine is a variant of the 390C, and the rated horsepower advertised on the EXP119 actually comes from the 390C testing (a new test was not conducted for the EXP119 version). The 390C did not include the new AFP fuel servo used on the EXP119 engine. While we don't have specific metrics related to that change, we know the flow capacity of that servo is higher. (note: edited for clarity)

The 390A model used originally (and which is still available, of course) on the RV-14 is a great off-the-shelf configuration that was not designed specifically for the RV-14. The new 390-EXP119 engine represents the first time Van's has dedicated time to work with Airflow Performance and Lycoming to develop a system tailored to the airframe. We evaluated and tested multiple exhaust systems, induction systems, and a variety of other ideas before settling on our final configuration.

In addition, and importantly, there are a number non-engine-specific changes that impact the final results. Van's engineers worked with Lycoming in designing the new exhaust system used on the 390-EXP119. The Van's-provided crossover exhaust is specifically designed for the application, and makes a difference in optimizing power output. In combination with this new exhaust, we took advantage of the opportunity to reduce drag related to the cowl exit area. Specifically, we designed a new exhaust ramp cooling flap and a new lower cowl, which is significantly different in shape.

It's the sum of the changes that drives the end result, rather than any single technical change. This project has been a terrific experience for us, in that the three companies worked closely together to achieve a substantial performance result.

Last edited by greghughespdx : 07-22-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:15 PM

Greg, will the newly developed snorkle work for those of us with the fm-150 on a “old”-390?
Old 07-22-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rRob View Post
Greg, will the newly developed snorkle work for those of us with the fm-150 on a “old”-390?
No, it's application is specific to the IO-390-EXP119. It won't fit with a IO-390A.

Old 07-22-2020, 04:36 PM

I should note that the oil cooling system parts (baffle rear wall and flange, five-inch SCAT tube, and the associated interface to the oil cooler) are becoming standard kits parts on all RV-14 kits.

Prior to this change, the cooling tube was a four-inch diameter tube. If the owner of an existing aircraft would like to increase its oil cooling air flow on a 390A engine, they'll be able to order the new five-inch cooling components for a simple retrofit on their finished airplane. More on this soon.

Old 07-22-2020, 04:41 PM

RV 7 & 8 availability?
Old 07-22-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghughespdx View Post
You're kind of missing something [] because calculating based solely on rated HP doesn't necessarily get you where you think it might.
I'm missing it too.

Quote:
The 390C on which the certification horsepower tests were conducted did not include the new AFP fuel servo used on the EXP119 engine. While we don't have specific metrics, we know the flow capacity of that servo is higher.
Did you mean to say 390A?

Given appropriate intake flange diameters (no reduction adapters), the carb loss difference between an RSA-5 type and the FM-200 would ballpark at 6 to 8 inches H20, or roughly 0.5" Hg. That's not insignificant. However, the RSA-5 sized intake was on earlier 390 models with the standard unitary sump and intake plenum. The 390C has the separate intake plenum with a flange for the RSA-10, and the difference between and RSA-10 and an FM-200 would be less than 1" H2O at 390 flow rates. I would much rather have the FM-200 (mine has been bulletproof), but I would not expect a big performance boost based solely on swapping throttle bodies. Actually, the C and 119 both seem to be rated at 215.

Do the C and the new 119 in fact use the same #42A28515 intake plenum? All this stuff is gonna show up in the parts catalogs anyway.

Quote:
In addition, and importantly, there are a number non-engine-specific changes that impact the final results.
Hey, we have photo posting now......

Last edited by DanH : 07-22-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:17 PM

Is the 7497 prop still used?

I thought the limit on the 7497 was 210HP.