What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tires...

ccsmith51

Well Known Member
I need two new tires for my RV-4. I want to purchase them from ACS as with the Pilot Card I get a discount and free shipping.

The tires I have now are 5.00 x 5.

Any suggestions on what I should purchase, and what to stay away from?

Thanks,

Last annual I bought a pair of Goodyear Flight Custom III tires for my Cessna 180, and they are wearing much faster than any previous tire I'd had on the plane in the last 26 years.

I'll be lucky to get 150 landings out of them.

Dave

Condors!!

Chris,
I bought a set of Condors:
CONDOR TIRE 5.00-5 6PLY
From Desser's website but Spruce has them too.

They are awesome. I just turned them around on the rims about a month ago. I have about 400 hours on them!! They still have quite a bit of tread.

Mark

I need two new tires for my RV-4. I want to purchase them from ACS as with the Pilot Card I get a discount and free shipping.

The tires I have now are 5.00 x 5.

Any suggestions on what I should purchase, and what to stay away from?

Thanks,

Chris, you will usually find Desser has a better price and they offer free shipping for orders over $100.

The Aircraft Spruce Pilot card is a good deal, too.

Chris,
I bought a set of Condors:
CONDOR TIRE 5.00-5 6PLY
From Desser's website but Spruce has them too.

They are awesome. I just turned them around on the rims about a month ago. I have about 400 hours on them!! They still have quite a bit of tread.

Mark

Mark, what tubes did you order? Both ACS and Dresser have multiple choices. Thanks,

Are the tubes unique to the tire purchased? In other words if I have van tube for a 5x5 aeroclassic will it fit in other 5x5 tires?

mix and match

Are the tubes unique to the tire purchased? In other words if I have van tube for a 5x5 aeroclassic will it fit in other 5x5 tires?

Tubes are generic for the same size tire. Many of us are using the "airstop" or "leakguard" type tubes that require much less maintenance than traditional tubes.

I had read somewhere on the forum that roundish profile main gear tires (Like McCreary) are preferential to flatter types (like Goodyears and Condors). This was to help alleviate main gear shimmy. Is this true?

Tire Wear Benchmark

A few pilots submitting replies here mention the number of hours they get on a set of tires. Wouldn't it be more informative to mention the number of landings they get on a set of tires and tubes. I seem to get a total of about 200 landings on the inexpensive Vans tires before they wear out. This means that they have to be reversed on the wheels after about 100 hours. My next purchase will be a tougher and longer lasting tire and a better tube.

Last edited:
You mentioned using the pilot card.
"** FREE SHIPPING EXCLUSIONS
Orders that contain 5 gallon containers, cases of oil, tires, batteries, and packages measuring more than 84 inches length and girth or 60 inches long or exceed 25 pounds total weight are excluded from the free shipping offer. Some exceptions apply.

You mentioned using the pilot card.
"** FREE SHIPPING EXCLUSIONS
Orders that contain 5 gallon containers, cases of oil, tires, batteries, and packages measuring more than 84 inches length and girth or 60 inches long or exceed 25 pounds total weight are excluded from the free shipping offer. Some exceptions apply.

Thanks for the heads up!!

Back