What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sunglasses

dan carley

Well Known Member
Having a hard time try to get a good pair
Of sunglasses that you can see your iPad clearly
Most are to dark
Any suggestions
Thanks
Danny

Yeah non-polarized is required.

I have a nice pair of Maui Jim's that are basically useless for LCD type instruments. I even asked if they are available in non-polarized and my eye Dr. called Maui Jim and they said no. Third party lenses are available though.

I've been using Ray Ban Aviators with G15 gray/green lenses for decades and they work for me. They are not polarized and I can see both the iPad and my Garmin screens without any problems.

Prescription

Lots of on-line vendors for prescription glasses. I generally get mine from Zenni. They do make lesses in non-polarized.

I have Vedalo's which are great. Not too dark amber lens, very light with small arms so the ear cups on my Zulu 3's seal well. I got them at Spruce but I don't think they carry them any longer.

Check out the Scheyden's as well. They have some nice ones in various frames and lens colours. Have used RayBans and Serrenghetti's as well. All just personal preference and how much you want to spend.

As has been said, always non-polarized for flying.

Lucky me, my optometrist is a pilot. I have RayBan Aviators, with graded lenses. He also mad me a pair of Oakleys, both are graded bronze, I’m not a fan of the G15 green/gray lenses.

Graded let’s me see the EFIS displays easily and the top takes car of my forward vision.

I got a pair of Method Sevens at OSH a couple of years ago. It was the promo Lightspeed had if you bought a Zulu 2 or 3. I really like the Method Seven sun glasses.

I dropped them on the floor in my hangar once and broke one of the lenses and they repaired it under warranty. Recently, one of the ear "protector" pieces came off the arm and I lost it, they repaired/replaced that too, under warranty.

Good folks, good glasses.

Serengetti Drivers...The best I found so far for flying and driving..

No issues at all in the Boeing, Airbus and RVs...

YMMV

Bruno

Method Sevens are the nicest pair I have but the newer Flying Eyes with the thin plastic frames are the lightest, most comfortable, and most durable.

Last edited:
Ray Ban skinny frames with brown lenses. The ear pieces fit under a headset without feeling like they're clamping down on your head. Disclaimer; they are polarized, so if you turn your head sideways, the screen is going to go black- I don't fly with my head turned sideways.

here's a link. not sure if this is the exact model, but they look the same from the picture. I got mine from Nordstroms rack and paid about $50. Like them so much that I went back and got a couple of backup pairs that are now on deck for whenever these break.

https://www.glassesusa.com/gunmetal...RDMhatFucaFAbjfZEfo7RRpt6OEaquj4aAhVEEALw_wcB

Zenni

I got gradient tint sunglasses with a progressive prescription from Zenni online. Best solution I've found so far for the glass panel. They have a variety of frames that are headset friendly. Cheap too, about $80 a pop.

I wear non-polarized Ray Bans with a gradient lens - darker at the top of the lens, less tinted at the bottom. They allow you to easily see the instruments / iPad with less interior light, while still blocking outside sun in the upper part of your vision. Ray Bans are not the same quality since Luxotica bought them and moved production overseas, but still a decent value for the money.

And Joe just made Ray Bans cool again.

Method Sevens are the nicest pair I have but the newer Flying Eyes with the thin plastic frames are the lightest, most comfortable, and most durable.

I have a pair of Ray Bans that work great with my motorcycle helmet, the Method Sevens slide down my nose and out from under the helmet. But the Method Sevens are more comfortable under my headset.

I found Rudy's worked well for shooting, I could change the lenses based on conditions. I now use them for everything. I have polarized for none-flying, and some bronze none-polarized for flying. They make pretty much every color and option you can think of, also can get them with a prescription. I have had the same set of frames now for about 8 years.

I just ordered a pair of the Method Sevens Patriot model. Hope i like them. Never heard of them until this thread. Thank you guys.
Up until midnight tonight they are 25% off.

I found Rudy's worked well for shooting, I could change the lenses based on conditions. I now use them for everything. I have polarized for none-flying, and some bronze none-polarized for flying. They make pretty much every color and option you can think of, also can get them with a prescription. I have had the same set of frames now for about 8 years.

Dammit you Rudy Project shooting team guys are everywhere ��

Back