What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plastic Brake Lines?

Nylon brake lines are widely used in the experimental community. I chose not to run Nylon all the way to the brakes out of concern for heat. For the last 18", I transitioned to Russell motorcycle (Teflon/SS) flex hoses.

There are alternatives, but they are pricey. I bought a full set of braided SS and Teflon brake and fuel lines from TS Flightlines / Aircraft Specialty. They are absolutely beautiful and fit perfectly. Something about those standard nylon lines didn’t sit right with me and I wanted something that was more durable, had better connections, and looked great. There wasn’t much documentation with the lines, but I was able to figure out where all the various hoses went in an afternoon.

Nylaflo brake lines work just fine. RVs have been using them for decades.

I do NOT recommend using them all the way to the caliper, especially on the "A" models. The brakes on "A" models sometimes get pretty hot because many people over-use them for steering. A little prop blast on the rudder will usually turn the airplane just fine. I typically use solid lines down the gear leg to the caliper.

As always YMMV.

Last edited:
Plastic Brake Lines

I'm in the process of replacing them on my -4...just took me 20 years to do it..:eek:

Bruno

Just after I bought my RV 4 I blew a hole in the plastic line just above where it joined on the gear leg.

First thing I did on the pressure side is replaced the all the plastic lines with Teflon lines.

If it had happened during roll out, it could have been a lot worse.

Lots of stuff on the forums on those lines failing.

Tim

My advice

As many have said, they are standard kit supplied lines, and also used by many other experimentals . I put them in my -4 when I built it, and they performed great for several years..then the leaking began at the calipers.Often after hard braking, climate/temperature swings or long taxis, the leaks would return even after trimming and reseating the lines. The final straw was near complete failure of my left brake on way home from OSH last year taxiing out, and making making the trip home using only right brake less than pleasurable. I replaced all mine with SS braided and never looked back. Do it from the start and be done with it. This is a place money is well spent. A very good, highly recommended source is an advertiser here..Call Tom at TS Flightlines.

As many have said, they are standard kit supplied lines, and also used by many other experimentals . I put them in my -4 when I built it, and they performed great for several years..then the leaking began at the calipers.Often after hard braking, climate/temperature swings or long taxis, the leaks would return even after trimming and reseating the lines. The final straw was near complete failure of my left brake on way home from OSH last year taxiing out, and making making the trip home using only right brake less than pleasurable. I replaced all mine with SS braided and never looked back. Do it from the start and be done with it. This is a place money is well spent. A very good, highly recommended source is an advertiser here..Call Tom at TS Flightlines.

As I said above, I used Tom, too. And I completely vouch for him. Super responsive, very very helpful. They can do the whole kit, or individual pieces. It you want to keep the fixed lines plastic or aluminum, they can sell you just the moving lines (the lines near the pedals), or any combo you want. I got mine about 10 days after I ordered them, complete with all the fittings.

I agree with Bill. I would not trust my brakes to plastic lines. I'm surprised they are standard in many of the RV kits....

You can see the bubbles

Installed Nylaflow brake lines an a customer’s Pitts many years ago. I liked how easy it was to snake the tubing around the inside of the airplane and the landing gear. When I bled the system, I got good, normal brakes with no problems, but I could see a few bubbles thru the plastic. OK, just out of curiosity, I fooled with it until I got all the visible air out. The brakes were rock solid, which led me to wonder how much air I’ve been leaving in brake systems in the past that I could not see. I never heard any more about the airplane so I have no info on the long range results.
I WAS CAREFUL to use actual Nylaflow tube since the burst rating in regular nylon tubing is much lower, especially when it gets warm, like inside the wheel fairing. I think Nylaflow is OK, but I’d never want to run it inside a wheel fairing unless there was some kind if cooling arrangement there. Our RV-6 has aluminum and AN plumbing. I’ve toyed with using Nylaflow inside the fuselage just to save a bit of weight and clutter, but couldn't figure out an easy way to transition to AN fittings downstream. Oh well, it’s ‘way low priority.

I've had very good experience with Nylaflow brake lines and know of a few airplanes that have had them 20+ years. They can be protected from radiant heat with a little bit of firesleeve. Ferrules are a must.

It would be pretty easy to turn a brake piston out of stainless on a lathe and that would help keep heat out of the caliper.

Back