What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank BUGS For real, eating tank sealant

wings05rv6a

I am finishing an RV6A getting ready for final assembly. During the process of inspecting everything I began to test fuel tank seal. And I found that the tank had a leak. No leak on prior test. So I began the process of finding what was going on. I removed the tank from the wing. When I separated the tank from the wing I was startled to find attached the the tank Back exterior wall and the the wing spar what appeared to be MILLIONS of little yellow maggots spilling onto the table. We cleaned every bit of critters away and found that most of the tank sealant had been removed from the back of the tank. We magnified the area and found tiny little bite marks on the sealant material.

We live in central California near Yosemity (IN THE STICKS) We have mice and other things that live in the area. From time to time we find dog food in my tool chest and other locations. Sometimes we see the same little bugs around the dog food. Does anyone have any idea what these things are. I will try to get pictures posted.:confused::mad:mad:

Bob Wieczorek
Finnaly putting it all together

That is truly amazing.

Grab up a sample of the little buggers and take them to your local County Extension Service. They can ID them for you. My Dad worked for the Extension Service. He discovered the "Crane Fly" in Oregon. They supposedly did not exist that far north at that time. They where wrong.
I can not believe that anything organic could actually digest Proseal. Perhaps you have discovered the answer to dealing with oil spills or other hazards?

Termite Larvae

I am finishing an RV6A getting ready for final assembly. During the process of inspecting everything I began to test fuel tank seal. And I found that the tank had a leak. No leak on prior test. So I began the process of finding what was going on. I removed the tank from the wing. When I separated the tank from the wing I was startled to find attached the the tank Back exterior wall and the the wing spar what appeared to be MILLIONS of little yellow maggots spilling onto the table. We cleaned every bit of critters away and found that most of the tank sealant had been removed from the back of the tank. We magnified the area and found tiny little bite marks on the sealant material.

Bob Wieczorek
Finnaly putting it all together

My guess is those little yellow worms are Termite Larvae. Termites have been known to eat sealants.

Skylor

Proseal-eating maggots huh? I think I remember an episode of "The X-files" on that. Time to issue an AD. :)

erich

Termites are bad for you

Hi Bob,

If you think these "maggots" are termites, first have a look at this site and then GET RID OF THEM QUICKLY.

I live in a part of France where termites have been there for decades and are devastating a lot of houses and buildings.
And yes, they eat almost anything, not only wood.
Be careful and good luck in your fight

No matter what they are that doesn't sound any good. Definitely need to ID them -- Who knows what else they are eating?

And while i'm intrigued, not sure i'm going to look back here for the pictures ;-)

I spent a decade as a deputy coroner, and it's truly amazing what maggots will eat ... I'm just sayin' ... :eek:

Proseal Remover

That's the most interesting technique that I've ever heard of to remove Proseal. Maybe there is a market opportunity for those sticky little guys.

Maybe they are using it for bedding.

I did not think anything would eat proseal other than maybe a mouse. Usually termites around here like to stay within a few feet of moisture and build mud tunnels if running exterior on wood or block. Surprised they were in your tanks where it is so dry. Sorry to hear about that. I'll keep an eye on mine while in storage.

........ I will try to get pictures posted.
.....And while i'm intrigued, not sure i'm going to look back here for the pictures ;-)
No rush on the pics. Take your time. It?s only been five days since your post....nothing compared to the time that has passed waiting for pictures of all those paint blisters not on fuel tanks and of course, engine mounts cut in two by zip ties. :eek:

Back