What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Import duties on Avionics?

comatb

We are looking at buying an EFIS and would like to know what duties we would have to pay when importing into Canada. I know we will have brokerage and the HST to pay. Would like to compare buying from the manufacturer or from ACS which would include all costs except for the HST. Any advice is appreciated.

I don't think there are any duties. Brokerage and HST is all. That's all I paid on my fuselage kit 6 months ago.

We are looking at buying an EFIS and would like to know what duties we would have to pay when importing into Canada. I know we will have brokerage and the HST to pay. Would like to compare buying from the manufacturer or from ACS which would include all costs except for the HST. Any advice is appreciated.

I just brought in a Garmin GPS from ACS Corona. I used USPS (to Canada Post) and while I had to wait 3 weeks (!) to get it, it only cost me the GST and a $9.50 handling charge. You'll pay brokerage fees with any other (faster) method of shipping. Of course in Ontario you pay HST not GST. No duties in any case.

Same experience here. Brokerage fees of the tier one shipping companies may be excessive. Postal Service is great. Often, no charge at all. If they charge, 10$ brokerage + applicable taxes.

As others noted you only pay HST or GST.

In the past I have used Canada Post for the reasons cited. However, I have found that Canada Post has become most unreliable over the past year.

CP has taken 2 weeks to move a US parcel from BC to Alberta after customs clearance. Another parcel from South Dakota cam to Alberta via Moncton NB after being misrouted.

Do not use UPS as their fees are outrageous.

I use Fedex as the rates are reasonable and will include customs if you select the right service level. I suggest giving them a call.

Les

Customs Duties

bILL

Whenever you decide to buy your Avionics, just ask the seller to write on the Customs Labels ''Aviation Parts'' as there is no Customs Duties on Aviation Parts as per NAFTA.

Bruno

Thanks Bruno. Looking to buy a GRT SPORT 10.1 EFIS to go with our GRT EIS. If the sale is really good then the uAvionix echoUAT/GRT Safe-fly GPS Package might be in the cards as well. A new panel with these and other modifications are planed for install in the late fall as we don't want to lose good flying weather.

Just a thought... If you are buying a Sport 10.1, the work of installing it is actually not huge. You could do some of the work in chunks, saving a chunk for a rainy day, then another for the next rainy day. That would avoid the down-time that none of us want in the summer months. The Sport installation is really quite easy.

Suggested "chunks" to consider as pre-work for that one day when you actually install the unit:
1) magnetometer... physically mount it and run its three wires in a single bundle up to the cockpit area, coil and stow enough length of wire to go to the EFIS connector position with plenty of service loop or terminate it in a simple DB9 connector in a handy place so wires from the EFIS connector can be run to a mating DB9
2) prep the EFIS itself by sourcing and installing pitot-static connectors - get the connectors and tubing needed to Tee into your existing pitot-static lines and be ready to go for the pneumatic portion of the install
3) if your panel is a group of sub-panels, source a new sub-panel, mark it, cut it and install EFIS mounting hardware as well as mounts for whatever else needs to go in that sub panel. In short, be ready to make it a "bolt on" installation
4) pre-wire the EFIS connector to the greatest extent possible with power, ground, RS232 wires brought out in a bundle... this is where you might find it easier to run the magnetometer wires out from the EFIS connector and into a DB9 disconnect located perhaps over on one cockpit sidewall
5) plan and acquire the necessary power and ground connection hardware. If you're installing a new CB for the EFIS then you might even be able to have that CB hanging off the end of the EFIS wire bundle, ready to insert into a new hole in the panel - just connect to the aircraft power and you're ready to go

I installed a Sport EX this past summer and had to do fairly major surgery to make it happen but I followed something similar to the plan outlined above. Once I had the metal work done I found the labour content for the rest of the installation to be fairly minimal.

(I'm kind of jealous that you have enough real estate for a Sport 10.1 - I didn't. The new glass in the GRT screens is fantastic - you'll love flying behind it!)

Thank you very much for your ideas and very detailed 'how to' information. This RV6 will be used for VFR only. Since money is an issue how valuable is the magnetometer?

bILL

Whenever you decide to buy your Avionics, just ask the seller to write on the Customs Labels ''Aviation Parts'' as there is no Customs Duties on Aviation Parts as per NAFTA.

Bruno

That's a really valuable tip.
I never considered it but will certainly do it in the future.

Sadly this isn't adequate anymore. All shipments must have proper tariff codes on them. All of the aircraft-parts-related codes are duty-free, but you still have to have the appropriate code for the item being shipped. It can't have a code for an aluminum part and be an EFIS, for example. Oh, and if it's not there, some shippers will tack on a "tariff search" fee so they can look it up for you.

It's possible to do your own brokerage. I forget the exact process but it has been asked about here before and I have used it. It's not difficult, and can be used with any carrier. Try searching for "brokerage" in the Canada subgroup and you might find it.

Back