What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PocketFMS or Jeppesen charts?

riseric

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi, with Dynon, if I understand correctly, to have non-U.S. data, (airports, charts, airspace, etc.), I will have to subscribe a plan either from PocketFMS or Jeppensen, correct??

I will be flying VFR, with a possible upgrade to IFR in a year or so.
I already have a U.S./Canada subscription with ForeFlight and use it on my tablet.

For those flying with Skyview, what do you suggest and use in Canada for data??
Thanks !!

I've been using PocketFMS on my HDX. Works well, but it's just data - no charts. Yes, you'll need something for data, the built in data doesn't show very much at all in Canada.

I also have Foreflight (Canada only) and have started to use FltPlan Go on a cheap Amazon Fire tablet. The latter is a very inexpensive way to get charts.

I'm installing a GPS 175 this week and will have to get the subscription for that once I'm up and running. Not sure what direction I'll go there yet, but PocketFMS isn't an option.

I've been using PocketFMS on my HDX. Works well, but it's just data - no charts. Yes, you'll need something for data, the built in data doesn't show very much at all in Canada.

I confirm... On the installed map, I don't even see my home airport or nearby CYQB...
Essentially, can't fly with that...
No charts with PocketFMS is useless...

On Dynon's forum, last April they said: "Unfortunately, there isn't currently a source for Canadian Plates/Charts on SkyView, but it's on our list to address."

I would presume NavCanada is the source?
Where does ForeFlight get its data?? That's what HDX should show....
Or am I missing something...???

The data from PocketFMS is good as I'm sure is Jepperson's. I'm not aware of any way to get charts for Canada into the SkyView, hence the need for an EFB.

I've heard that getting electronic charts from NAV Canada is difficult, but FltPlan Go manages to get them and make them available for free. It would be great if Dynon would find a way to get the charts on our panels.

There is a consistent error in Jeppesen's database that I reported years ago, was fixed, then reverted back on a subsequent cycle.

We have these weird class E control zones in Penticton, Princeton and Kamloops. For some reason, the Jeppesen database confuses AGL and ASL in their zone altitudes, which can lead to nasty surprises. These seem to be the only 3 in Canada to the best of my knowledge.

I am away from my aircraft, but I will compare the Jeppesen to the PocketFMS on this issue and report back.

V

PocketFMS

Eric

I don't know if PocketFMS still do but a few years back when I was using them, I send them the LAT/Long and info for our grass strip just west of CYMX and they did add it to their database on their next cycle so they might still do it for your strip?

As mentioned, there are no approach plates available with PocketFMS.

Like Claude, I will be installing a G-175 in my RV-4 soon so I will be using Garmin Data for that and my 796..

Bruno

PocketFMS Dynon and foreflight

For VFR flight in Canada I use PocketFMS on my D700 and have my Canadian charts and Canada Flight supplement on Foreflight on ipad and iphone. I am content with this - as far as I can tell PocketFMS gives you all the pertinent data needed for VFR flight.

I am somewhat involved with PocketFMS (volunteer, no commercial links, only get the subscription for free), as one of the core Beta Testers and "Airmarshal" for Switzerland, which means I'm looking regularly after the data for the Switzerland FIR.

There is somewhat a "hybrid" setup in place, with quite a few "grass roots" volunteers like me (going back to the early days) for some countries and more and more professionalized maintenance of the datasets based at the headquarters for others.

I'm not really involved with Canada other than knowing it should be well covered.

In any case, if you would like to report a missing airfield, your own grass field or whatever that should be included/is missing or contains a mistake, please use this contact form:
https://navfarm.pocketfms.com/2-ContactAirmarshal.asp

One thing is for sure, "reactivity" to bugfixes or custom data additions is second to none.

PocketFMS by the way is still the name of the company, but the product has morphed from "PocketFMS Desktop" via EasyVFR3 to the latest version "EasyVFR 4", which just had its initial launch. Not sure if Canada is part of the first wave. That also contains the dynon integration / upload possibilities.

Pocket fms

Hi there
I use Pocket FMS for my Skyview System and ForeFlight Pro with Canadian data base on the iPad to fly around S W Ontario and further. Never had an issue. Yes I’d like to have Charts on Skyview but they are not available yet, but I find the charts on ForeFlight more than adequate, especially with Pro.
Just my thoughts
Dave
C-GCPD

Hi there
I use Pocket FMS for my Skyview System and ForeFlight Pro with Canadian data base on the iPad to fly around S W Ontario and further. Never had an issue. Yes I’d like to have Charts on Skyview but they are not available yet, but I find the charts on ForeFlight more than adequate, especially with Pro.
Just my thoughts
Dave
C-GCPD
Thanks Dave,
I now realise that I will have to fly with my iPad and ForeFlight to have the proper VNC charts on hand...
It would be nice to have the VNC charts on the Skyview.

I am somewhat involved with PocketFMS
In any case, if you would like to report a missing airfield, your own grass field or whatever that should be included/is missing or contains a mistake, please use this contact form:

One thing is for sure, "reactivity" to bugfixes or custom data additions is second to none.
Eric

I don't know if PocketFMS still do but a few years back when I was using them, I send them the LAT/Long and info for our grass strip just west of CYMX and they did add it to their database on their next cycle so they might still do it for your strip?

As mentioned, there are no approach plates available with PocketFMS.

Bruno
Hey Bernie, how are you doing ??
Salut Bruno,

I may have mislead people when saying that I don't see my home field. It doesn't concern Pocket FMS.
It's on the basic Skyview map that there's no canadian info except for main cities, roads, water, etc... No aviation information...

If I get a PocketFMS subscription and its data, once installed on Skyview, I presume airports, airspace, and other pertinent aviation info will be shown?
Then, if CNV9 is not on their map, (would be surprising as it's in the CFS) I'll get in touch to have it added.

Back