What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Tinting example?

dbier99

Well Known Member
I recently purchased an RV6A with slider canopy and am trying to reduce the sun intrusion and heat. I'm considering a Koger Sunshade but am 6'1" and there is very little spare space above my head/headphones. I just saw a Youtube video of ceramic tint film being added to an RV9 and it looked great. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to track down the RV9 owner or installer so I have no idea how well it held up.

Has anyone here tried tinting the sliding portion of their canopy (not the windscreen)? Would love to get some input to help me make a decision and possibly find an installer.

I'd post a link to the tinting video here but believe that isn't allowed - but for those curious the video title is: Tinting a Vans RV9 with 35% Tint . YOu might be able to find it by searching that title.

Koger Sunshade for me

I have an RV-6A Tip Up. I started with stick on tint. It worked pretty well, but I had a chance to fly an RV-12 with a Koger Sunshade for a few months and I can't go back. The Sunshade does a great job. I bought the "wide" version and I extended it far down the canopy so once I am in cruise I can lower it down even lower to extend the shade area. It does take a small amount of headroom but, for me, was totally worth it for the much greater shade it provided.

Highly recommend!!

Gila Static Cling

Gila static cling film is the best solution if you don't want to go down the sunshade route. I purchased a shade originally, but didn't want to be drilling into the canopy frame, and went with the static cling instead. Because you are applying it to a concaved surface you will need to install some relief cuts, but from a distance, no-one will notice. Works great, and would definitely go down this path again. If you decide you don't want it in the future, you can easily peel it off because it's non adhesive. It's easy to apply, and if you don't like the way you laid it down, you can peel it off and try again.

Tom.
RV-7

Last edited:
Garbage bags

We used to cut pieces from dark-coloured garbage bags and use static cling to stick them where needed on the windshield. Maybe not an elegant solution, but definitely utilitarian. And it doesn’t take up any head room.

3M

Another potential application; like most of their products, 3M makes a great window tint. In addition to being top notch for it's energy xfer properties, it is the most optically clear of any that I've seen.

Cons = the product is only sold through it's installers (unless things have changed). If you can find an installer near you, see if you can get a small piece to check out.
It is thicker than most and guessing it won't play nice on compound (excessively) curved surfaces. I would assume this is true for any film application.
It will cost more than the do-it-yourself stuff.

I'll mention again the optical clarity. It becomes unnoticeable very quickly.

Not a debate, just an option for the OP.

Another potential application; like most of their products, 3M makes a great window tint. In addition to being top notch for it's energy xfer properties, it is the most optically clear of any that I've seen.

Thanks for the suggestion. So far the only installer I've talked to was the one referred to me by Wing View Tint - who I saw at Oshkosh. Unfortunately, that installer said he's not sure the tint film would work well (application) with the RV's canopy shape and isn't comfortable trying. I'll only try tint film if I can find an installer with RV experience - I don't want my RV to be a guinea pig :)

Back