What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need some help on a potential purchase...

dgriswo

I'm New Here
I am new to the board so this may be in the wrong place, if so point me to the right direction and I will correct. But here goes

I have found a RV-7 in San Antonio TX that I might purchase. Its a recent build and has only 4 hours of the run off time on it. What type of inspections should I have done and does anyone know of a good mechanic to perform a prebuy inspection for me. I would want someone that could inspect it for both equipment condition and the quality of the build. Any help would be appreciated.

Phase 1 requirements

The aircraft is being flown in "phase one" which is typically 40 hrs., and performed within a prescribed area as approved by the FAA. Those hours can be flown off by any qualified pilot, but to move the aircraft via flight from that area would not be allowed without authorization from the FAA,ect. I'm sure it could be done, but I have never done it. I have been involved in an investigation where I was working on a plane that was in phase 1 and was moved from FLA to NC and the FAA pretty much demanded proof it was moved via ground (which it was) and not flown. I would say with only 4 hrs. on it, and if it was allowed to be moved from TX to NC, it needs pretty well looked over. The other option is to have the phase 1 remaining hours (36) flown off in TX, then its pretty much free to leave . Texas has a very large RV community, and I imagine there will be some feedback from some of them.

Welcome

Welcome to VAF, Dane. You'll probably hear from Mel Asbury on here or some of the other Texas folk that can do a good pre-buy for you for a small fee.

Best,

Only 4 hrs? Must be a story behind that. I cant imagine a person building for years and then just flying 4 hrs unless he got scared of something or got sick or incapacitated. But I have heard of quite a few folks that just like to build.... Ask the seller who inspected it and get in touch with him. Maybe you can find out if it's worth doing a pre buy.

Only 4 hrs? Must be a story behind that. I cant imagine a person building for years and then just flying 4 hrs unless he got scared of something or got sick or incapacitated. But I have heard of quite a few folks that just like to build.... Ask the seller who inspected it and get in touch with him. Maybe you can find out if it's worth doing a pre buy.

I was thinking the same thing

Relocation

I know of a case where the FSDO approved a RV to relocate (as in fly) from W Va to Georgia. As I recall this plane was about 1/2 way thru Phase 1 and some additional conditions were imposed for this move. Remainder of Phase 1 was flown off in Ga.

Don Broussard

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

Yep

We obtained a ferry permit for our-6A to depart the designated Phase 1 fly-off area in order to get some radio work done.

I believe that a quick call to the appropriate FSDO may well be beneficial.

Best,

Thanks guys.....

You guys were right about re-location. Called MIDO and they told me just how to do it.

Any ideas on anyone that could do a good pre buy? Once again thanks you guys were a lot of help.

Dane

Back