What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone use a Power Tow?

Plummit

Well Known Member
Is anyone using a power tow or other tug for moving their -10 in or out of a hangar? Results?

-Marc

I used the Tow Buddy from Wag-Aero and it serves me well. I do not have a ramp to climb but I'm sure it would work with a small incline.

I use one. Made my own from a self propelled 2 stage snow blower. Works great and I use it ever time the plane goes in or out of the hanger. Somewhere here there is a thread on how I made it.

Yep

I use the Power Tow for the -10. Works great.

I did add a 1/2" spacer under the bolt to extend the bolt/lug that the tow bars attach to on the nose wheel. This was to give the tug more to grip. Did this after the tow slipped off and banged up the wheel pant.

No problems after extending the lug. Had it for a couple of years now and would purchase again.

Doug

TUG

I have a Power Tow and Tow Buddy (elec) I used for a C-182 before I bought the RV10. Had to change bolts and add spacers for them to attach to the 10. Power Tow works good pushing up a grade at my home hangar on concrete but not so great in the grass taxiway. Tow Buddy is at my work place hangar and is generally useless except its better than no help at all.
Tom Woodruff
66TE

I use a standard towbar and my garden tractor to move my RV up the hill to our taxiway/street and then pull it back into the hangar.

When not pulling my plane around, it is used to help mow our runway or our yard.

The first tractor-tug I had was purchased for $50 and I kept that until I donated it to the local EAA chapter to use with their gang hangar.

Hi Tom, I currently have a Power Tow 40EZ setup for a C-172 with pants. The "Arms" have a bend to attach to Cessna tow lugs above the nose wheel pant. Did you use that type of Arm on your -10, or did you use straight arms?

thanks

~Marc

I have a Power Tow and Tow Buddy (elec) I used for a C-182 before I bought the RV10. Had to change bolts and add spacers for them to attach to the 10. Power Tow works good pushing up a grade at my home hangar on concrete but not so great in the grass taxiway. Tow Buddy is at my work place hangar and is generally useless except its better than no help at all.
Tom Woodruff
66TE

Power Tow C182 - RV10

Power Tow bent arms mounted on top frame tube steel for C182. Moved bent arms under the frame tube steel and used a pipe to make 3/4" spacer thus shimming arms even lower for RV10. Had to buy longer bolts and adjust the head for correct spacing.
Tom Woodruff
66TE
RV10 -921BT

Used every model of Power Tow

Gas, electric, and now, battery ---- Twin Comanches, 182s, Bonanzas, RV-10, RV8A, and now RV-6A --- all have performed very well. Seems like every hangar I have ever had was an up-hill entry.

I guess I prefer the battery model for the RVs ---- just more convenient.

R.

Minimax

My Friend Jerry here at MYF uses a Minimax Tug, one of those that uses a rechargeable drill to power it. He really likes it and I must say the two times we pulled his plane out and back, it worked great. Not sure how it would do on a hill. I plan to check them out at KOSH.

Thanks guys, I'll have to roll my own on the conversion but I really need something to help me back my -10 into my T-hangar. The main problem I have is keeping it going in a straight line while getting the wheels over the door track. Since I already have a Power Tow I'll just convert it.

~Marc

We carry the RV tugs on our website. Minimax is a neighbor, about 2 hangar doors down from us.

Here's the RV-10 tug:
http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/7112.htm

Here are some others:
http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/category-s/27.htm

It is important to use these tugs in their design envelope. They perform very well, a lot of bang for the buck, but aren't intended to move airplanes up a slope greater than 2.5%. They lose traction under that scenario.

They are the bomb for moving your aircraft on flat surfaces.

Last edited:
grade

Hey Vince,
I engineered these tugs to negotiate 2.5% gradient. Where exactly did you come up with 1%. Would appreciate you either deleting this message or re-writing it correctly. this has created confusion on this thread.
Thanks, Greg

We'll have a few tugs in our booth. We are in Building D, Booth 4035B and 4035C, right next to the Dynon booth.

Naturally, we'll have all of our tailwheel stuff there also. T-shirts, and other RV goodies too.

Back