What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What would an RV-3 kit with quick build wings be worth

eddieseve

Well Known Member
Hi Guys

There is an RV3 kit with quick build wings for sale in Australia and I was just wondering how much the kit would be worth. No work has been started yet.

Asking price is $24,000

I should have mentioned I am considering buying it as I have the building itch again

Cheers

Last edited:
From Van's website:

Preview plans $45
Empennage $995
Wing $5905
Additional for quick-build wings $4610
Fuselage $3095

Total without finishing kit $14,650

If finishing kit is included ($5005) $19,655

Who knows what shipping to OZ cost the original buyer?

Thanks for that, its very tempting but first I need to find out exactly what is included, will do more digging.

Shipping and GST to Australia would have been about $2000.

Cheers

I sold my 3b kit in 2009 for $15,500. QB wings, fuselage kit, finish kit plus completed empennage.

I should have mentioned I am considering buying it as I have the building itch again

Eddie, im in the same boat as you are, I miss building !
Just a few things.
1) how old is the kit, are all the parts with it ?
2) does it have the finnish kit ?
3) look at re-sale value of already flying Rv3s, you can get them cheep in the USA

If you can get the price down, then it wouldnt look so bad. I est the ship/Gst to be around $4K +

Hi Jamie,

I have put in an offer for the kit of $18,000, the kit was delivered from Vans in April 2012 and is supposed to come with the fire wall forward components, quick build wings are still in the box they came in, so I am told.

Waiting for a response from the seller......

I realize that resale is not great on single seat aircraft, but my main aim is to have something to tinker with, TV is too boring, although I should be out there exercising as I have gained weight since I finished building the RV7, ugh I never though I would missing having a plane in the garage soooooo much.

I spoke with your mate David Brown a few weeks back about tuning the engine to run LOP, have finally gotten a data logger (got sick of waiting for Dynon) so hope to be able to flick him some performance data to get a opinion soon.

Cheers

I sold my 3b kit in 2009 for $15,500. QB wings, fuselage kit, finish kit plus completed empennage.

Thanks JonJay, I offered $18,000 on the kit as shipping and GST would have been between at least $2000-$3000 to Australia plus other charges.

Cheers

As a negotiating point, if you want to build an RV-3B and make it legal for aeros weight / fun to fly / use your RV-7 building skills, I suspect you will deviate from the standard build in vairous areas. Finishing kit is dependant on engine type, engine mount on engine mount type conical, dynafocal etc.) and therefore a good chance you will need to re-order some of these parts.

Whatever, you do not want the 2 of you above to be seen as both after it :eek:

Thanks JonJay, I offered $18,000 on the kit as shipping and GST would have been between at least $2000-$3000 to Australia plus other charges.

Cheers

I think you made a fair offer, not knowing the exchange rate. I assume this is a 3B kit as QB wings where not offered to my knowledge for the original 3.

Thanks JonJay,

Still waiting for a response at the moment, guess I shall see....if it does happen then I need to organize shipping to move it 1500km to my home.

Lots of fun still to be had.

Cheers

Eddie, let us know how you go. If i start another plane, I will have to find all my tools that are out on loan to people I dont remember that have them :(
I also hope that you can get a good price on getting it to your door from an extra 1500km away.
If you fly up this way ( YCAB ) give me a PM , maybe we can catch up and talk LOP with Dave. :p

Hi Jamie,

I sent Dave an email today, I have a data logger installed and working in the RV now so am hoping to exchange some ideas, well actually the ideas will probably only be in one direction I imagine.

So would love to drop in and meet you guys and drop in on Mark Gamer who has a RV7 at Gatton

Cheers

Back