What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Walk Doubler

Gregg Brightwell

Well Known Member
Guys, I have another "What would the group do" question. I was reading over the drawing for the .025" Wing walk doubler for the -4. I don't have any .025 laying around, but am about to have plenty of excess .032 laying around from the sheets I am getting for single piece skins. Anyone see any issue with using the .032? I know, it is a weight penalty, albeit small, and it is an extra 7 thousanths of material. Will this make a noticeable difference in the top of the finished skin, i.e. hump? If it will look bad cosmetically, I'll just buy some .025. But if not, I'd likely appreciate the extra strength when myself and others are standing on it.

What say ye?

Gregg

Gregg,

I've got a piece of .0075" shim material on my desk, and I placed a sheet of ordinary copier paper over it, and ran my finger along the edge as a very rough check of how distinct the step is with the extra thickness. In short, not very.
I say taper the edges of the doubler down to zero thickness (wherever it falls between the skin and ribs) after it's trimmed to final size, cleco it in place, and see what you think.

My opinion...

.032 is even better on the walkway!

Just make sure its leftover or you will need to get more;)

Back