What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Panel Material

rdoerr01

Well Known Member
Can someone tell me what aluminum material and thicken the stock Van's Panel blank is for the RV-10. I was going to re-do my panel and I can't find any reference to if it is 2024T3 or 6061. I'm pretty sure it is 0.063 thick. Can someone please confirm.

Thanks

Ray Doerr
N519RV

Ray,

I don't believe it is 2024. It's "softer" and will bend eaiser. Call Stein. I bought a couple blanks on eBay and cut my own using a wood router. Worked great. Traveling or I'd walk out and look at what my extra blank material is ...

Doug

Mine?

Don't know if you're interested, but I am not using my stock Van's panel, going with Aerosport's instead, so mine is sitting unused, primed (back side, I think) and drilled for the attach screw holes. Make me an offer if you want it, or email me.

Its 2024 - pretty sure T3, It is alclad coated. I'm confident you could use just about anything you wanted to in that location. It is 0.0.63 thick.

If you buy 2024 it most likely will be alclad as it would corrode like crazy while sitting at the distributor waiting to be sold. Most likely will be T3 hardness as well. So you might as well go with that. If you want to form it in some fashion you might consider 5052-H32 as it will form easier and is less likely to crack than 2024.

vans

Vans sells the RV 10 blank panel for only $52 or so. I bought 2 when i upgraded my RV 10 panel last winter.

It's 063 2024 T3 Alclad.

I am using the supplied piece as a template so I can cut holes, get it wrong :( and finalize everything. Then I bought some stock material. Using the download from VANS as a starting point, I am making a CAD drawing so I can get a nice, accurate, smooth water/laser/CAD cut final item :D

I called Van's and it is 2024T3 0.063". Thanks everyone for your replies. We have a local shop here that sell all kinds of Aluminum called Air Parts Inc in Kansas City. So I just got back from there and bought a piece 1' x 4' x 0.063" for $33.

Thanks
Ray

Back