What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Plane to Buy?

attackpilot

Hello everyone. This may be off topic but since it is something I want to do while building a RV-12, I thought it would be somewhat legitimate.

I would like to buy an inexpensive airplane to fly while I am building in order to get my flying fix. My finances will only allow for something $20k or less if I am to continue to be able to afford to build the -12. I would like to get some opinions on airplanes in that price range.

My preference would be something that is a 2-seater, reliable, cheap to maintain and insure, and if at all possible, has some good handling qualities. I currently do not have a tailwheel endorsement, but would consider a tailwheel airplane if it was a relative easy one to deal with.

Thanks for the responses in advance; I am sure there will be some good ones.

Joe Hutchison
AH-64D IP/MTP
Deployed in Iraq
Live in Duchy Airpark (5NC5)

AA-1 Series

Joe,

You should also consider the grumman AA-1 series (AA-1A, B and C). There are not many for under 20K, but if you look carefully you might be able to find a decent one that fits your budget. However, two things. You need to do a careful prebuy with someone that knows grummans. They are different enough from Cessnas and Pipers that many mechanics are not familiar with them. Second, make sure you get a good checkout. They are fun airplanes, but have little wings ... not great in hot weather, and you need to know and maintain the correct speed on approach to landing.

Good luck with your search.

Hello everyone. This may be off topic but since it is something I want to do while building a RV-12, I thought it would be somewhat legitimate.

I would like to buy an inexpensive airplane to fly while I am building in order to get my flying fix. My finances will only allow for something $20k or less if I am to continue to be able to afford to build the -12. I would like to get some opinions on airplanes in that price range.

My preference would be something that is a 2-seater, reliable, cheap to maintain and insure, and if at all possible, has some good handling qualities. I currently do not have a tailwheel endorsement, but would consider a tailwheel airplane if it was a relative easy one to deal with.

Joe Hutchison
AH-64D IP/MTP
Deployed in Iraq

Where is 5NC5? AOPA doesn't recognize either the designator nor the name.

Brian Wallis on this forum owned an AA-1, and is an A&P. If you are in the Southeast you may wish to contact him by PM to ask about Yankees.

Seems to me that you could get an RV-12 flying in such a short amount of time, it may not justify purchasing another plane.

Anyway, I know where you can get a Grumman AA-1 for just under $10k, its out of annual, but it shouldn't cost too much to get it there. PM me and i'll get you the contact info.

Seems to me that you could get an RV-12 flying in such a short amount of time, it may not justify purchasing another plane.

My budget requires me to spread out my construction over a few years. I figure I can sell whatever I buy when I need the finishing kit. Don't want to rent since I live at airpark.

Joe

My budget requires me to spread out my construction over a few years. I figure I can sell whatever I buy when I need the finishing kit. Don't want to rent since I live at airpark.

Joe

Anyone at the airpark want to sell 1/2 interest?

I'd say a 150 if you really need 2 seats. Its dirt cheap to fly and maintain.

But if you want to have some real fun, get a 1-hole Pitts. You can find a basic flatwing for around your price range. Get some instruction first though!!

Joe Hutchison
AH-64D IP/MTP
Deployed in Iraq

Well, for $ 20,000 you can probably get a decent Cessna 150 (or some other small, two seater).

However, for $ 20,000 you can be part-owner of a decent four seater, if you can find one, two, or three partners willing to put down the same.

Good luck in either case!

I'm a sucker for the Luscombe and it first your description perfectly.

Classic airplane, It is a joy to fly, and is an honest airplane. A little tricky to land with the narrow stance, but nothing one can't handle. Those rudder pedals aren't foot rests to begin with ;) . Sips fuel with a 65 horse continental up front. Tailwheel, and stick. Get it all metal, and I would buy one with an electrical system. I had a **** of a time hand-bombing it by myself when it was cold out.

Back