What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cold air induction and engine mount modifications

huse0054

Well Known Member
Curios those with experience running the cold air induction and engine mount modifications. I was under the impression that I would need to have my engine mount modified to clear the intake and was planning on doing such based on talking with other builders running the same setup.

That being said, I saw a post recently (now I can't find the post) stating that the new style vans engine mount (after 2019) is built differently and potentially does not need any modifications to run CAI. I called Van's and they could not confirm if that was the case.

Has anyone else run into this or used the new style engine mount with a BP CAI setup without having to do any modifications to the mount?

Gday yep that was me

https://vansairforce.net/community/showpost.php?p=1586808&postcount=14

My mount is modified, but it didn’t need to be. The modification lowers the bar 1” and I have 1.75 of clearance.
I have the newer style engine mount and a Barrett CAI

There’s probably some variations between different CAIs so this may not be relevant for all of them.

I’m surprised that Vans can’t tell you how much lower that bar is from the previous design? That would strike me as an easy to answer question.

Good luck

I searched the forum and couldn't find any discussion about a redesigned RV-10 mount, other than what's discussed and linked-to in this thread.

Does anyone know what drove the redesign?

There was a SB for cracks in the elastomer plate on some high time 10s that lived on rough fields. This was in about 2014.
There was a fix released for that, but when the 14A came along it had a new design where the elastomer top plate could rotate which may have been to address the problem found in the 10.
That’s what I think has happened. The drawings for the 10 were revised in Mid 2019.
Scott may chime in.

Back