What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mariposa, CA Temporary Hangar Space?

Gash

Well Known Member
My wife and I are going to Yosemite for Labor Day weekend. Wondering if there is any hangar space available at Mariposa Yosemite Airport where I could put the -8 from Thursday 29 Aug to Monday 2 Sep? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't know about hangars at Mariposa, but be aware that a major wildfire, the Rim Fire is burning in Tuolumne County and into the western edge of Yosemite. The National Park Service is trying to put in fire lines to save the Tuolumne and Merced Groves of Giant Sequoias. This is a very large fire, 130,000 plus acres, 11,000 in Yosemite, and is making it's own weather. If the winds come from the west Yosemite Valley will be filled with smoke although it is currently smoke free. Keep checking the weather as conditions can quickly change.

Last edited:
I just heard today that they are evacuating Yosemite due to smoke. Also, I don,t remember seeing any hangers at Marosa. When we were ther several years ago, there were also fires close by and the airport was being used as a staging area for the fire equipment.

I just heard today that they are evacuating Yosemite due to smoke.

"Evacuating Yosemite?" Not from what I have read on any of the news sources. They have closed a few campgrounds and areas in the northwest corner of the park, but in general, the valley isn't threatened. The latest info from the NPS can be found here:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/rimfire.htm

We've had visibilities down to a mile from the smoke here in Reno/Carson/Tahoe this week.Had just enough visibility early this afternoon to fly around in the pattern for awhile, then it got bad again.

Thanks guys for the heads up on the fire. Yep, we're watching the news closely. We've had this trip planned all year, and are hoping that it goes alright. We got our permits to hike Half Dome on Friday, and then we're going to hike everywhere else on Saturday and Sunday.

I would bring your own tie downs and chocks. They have chains, and the ramp is on a severe slope. We had enterprise leave a car at the FBO. Have fun, we did!

Sierra Sky Park

Gash,

There won't be 48 RV's parked on my street like there were the last time you were here but Sierra Sky Park is only an hour's drive from the south gate of Yosemite.

I've got space in the hangar and can get you to a rental car or you can borrow the beater truck.

regards,

Slick

Karl, the Heliport for the Rim Fire was just moved from the Pine Mountain Lake Airport E45 to the Mariposa Airport. Pine Mountain Lake Airport was closed to public operations while it was the Helibase. Make sure to check the status of the Mariposa Airport before your trip. The Helibase was moved because of heavy smoke at Pine Mountain Lake Airport.
Visibility in Yosemite Valley is still good.

Good morning Slick! Thank you very much for your very kind offer to help out. Please check your PMs and I will get in touch with you today. :)

As of a week ago i confirmed with the office that after September, you won't be able to rent a car out of MPI for future reference. They aren't able to sustain the business there.

I am hugely disappointed. Flying to Yosemite is one of my favorite little trips. Having a car available is vital to drive the rest of the 50 miles to the park entrance.

It is the loss of services like this that will eventually kill GA. Now, i may just have to drive the 2.5 hours instead of a 40 min flight.

Back