What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DJM prototype tailwheel fork

NVhunter

Hey guys, here is a new idea that dad and I have been working on.
s1263.photobucket.com

s1263.photobucket.com

Last edited:
I was going to ask what you guys had been drinking, but it's right there on the table! :)

Looks pretty cool... You'd be able to get a rather stout tow bar in there...

That looks really, really cool!! But assuming the right side looks like the left, how would one change the wheel when it got worn?

Where's the bearing?

The hub (or axle) and the rim do not appear concentric, so it appears there is no bearing installed...yet. What's the design advantage of having such a large i.d. on the hub (or axle), other than the massive tow bar previously mentioned...or perhaps the Stuka sound? :D

That LOOKS dang cool guys....I have no idea what the practical advantages might be, but if you need a beta test airplane, you know where it is.... ;)

Oh that's just cool, one advantage if it matters would be a larger bearing surface area

Bird

Oh that's just cool, one advantage if it matters would be a larger bearing surface area...

...which would be an advantage if the standard setups are inadequate, but clearly, they are not. The large race diameter increases roller speed, the chance of skidding, and weight.

Airplanes are requirements based, what are the design goals of this configuration?

...if this is simply an attempt to be different, fine, but if you are trying to "reinvent the wheel", some of us would like to understand the thought process.

Last edited:
...which would be an advantage if the standard setups are inadequate, but clearly, they are not. The large race diameter increases roller speed, the chance of skidding, and weight.
The larger bearing size has a much greater load rating; if you biff a landing it will survive the impact. Skidding occurs when the longitudinal axis is not align with the direction of flight. ( use the rudder pedals). as for weight it came within a few grams of the original
...Airplanes are requirements based, what are the design goals of this configuration?
The design goal was to make me happy
......if this is simply an attempt to be different, fine, but if you are trying to "reinvent the wheel", some of us would like to understand the thought process.
Re-invent the tail wheel maybe, different yes, the one feature I am looking forward to using is to be able to run a tie down chain thru the middle and not scratch the tail wheel fork,
Thank you for your comments and insight

OK, its a fun project just to do something different... I get it.

However, "skidding" in this context, is the balls in the race. By increasing the race diameter, you are making the balls travel further for the same RPM, increasing their speed. The goal with bearings and bushings is to decrease the surface speed. This is why bearings at the center of a hub is so efficient.

However, "skidding" in this context, is the balls in the race. By increasing the race diameter, you are making the balls travel further for the same RPM, increasing their speed. The goal with bearings and bushings is to decrease the surface speed. This is why bearings at the center of a hub is so efficient.

I was more concerned about the max RPM of the bearing (4700 RPMs or 76mph) and I never thought about skidding, Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

It reminds me of the "gauges" that the punk kids put in their earlobes! :D

But I like the idea of the pass through for chains, although I don't seem to run into chains on the ramps around here very often.

Maybe the worst part of the new tire is that it replaces the wickedly good looking lightweight tire that you already make! I do love the way that your original tire looks and performs.

Well Dayton, we'll carry em! We think they're cool, the usefulness of a solid tiedown is great. Plus they look super cool.....

~Brendan

Most certified aircraft that have cast forks for landing gear use this sort of arrangement for the axle...just a tube and sometimes only secured with a cotter pin.

Hey Dayton, when do you want me to speed test them? :D

I'm making a C-F hubcap for my lightweight DJM tailwheel (though as Vince says, I hate to cover it up). Formation and racing friends say it rotates in flight, so gonna play around a bit and test. Can add a speed and spin test of a "big mouth" tailwheel to the mix too, if you like! You can chase me and take video if you'd like to do that too! Git us some of that formation practice you've been looking for that way too! :)

Cheers,
Bob

Back