What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

016 Control Surface Advice/Help (or put me out of my misery)

Freemasm

Well Known Member
Background: I'm building a Rocket lite. Standard RV4 tail feathers and wings. I got into this without knowing a lot about the RVs.

Issue: The Kit has 016 control surface skins. I had reservations but stuck with it. You can breath on the aileron skins and watch them deflect. When I learned of the subsequent change to 020 skins, I thought I'd keep going and change them later. Now that I damaged the TE of an elevator with my skull (sorry, no video), I know I can't wait.

Question: Who's done this? Were you successful just reskinning or did you make the whole assemblies? If just reskinning, did you buy skins or roll your own?

Vans still sells elevator skins but only pre-punched aileron skins. Obviously this would prevent a simple reskin of of the latter.

I'd really like a ride in this thing before I die. Any advice would be appreciated.

My RV-4 had .016 skin elevators, I recently built new elevators with .020 skins. I thought it looked easier to build new ones as opposed to re-skinning. I was able to re use all the steel parts and the fiberglass tips. I match drilled the new spar with the old spar so all of the hinge attach points would align with the hs. It is easy to incorporate SB 14-02-05 while you are building new. Happy with my results.

RV-8 Ailerons will bolt right up if you want a fully match drilled assembly. I rebuilt my rudder after the neighbor backed into it, did .020 skins, counterbalance, and riveted trailing edge. Really probably total overkill, but it made me feel better. My elevators are .016, but currently crack free. I'll redo them when they start failing (360, CS) it's just a matter of time.

RV8 QB ailerons

RV 8 quick build ailerons come FULLY assembled and are exact same dimensions as RV4 ...no building just drill brackets and bolt up

Back