What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need advice, Horseshoe Bay, TX (DZB) destination?

flytoday

Well Known Member
May take a passenger in RV6A to Horseshoe Bay airport, by Marble Falls, during the Feb 16 - 18 holiday weekend. Pax visiting a family member for a few hours.

Anyone flown there recently? RV friendly? Fees? FBO or terminal to wait for passenger? Refreshments? Better plan to drop pax and fly and wait at nearby field?

Thx!

Carl

Last edited:
Horseshoe Bay has a ramp fee. I think they waive it if you buy fuel.

There is a nice quiet passenger terminal, but not much open hangar activity. It's really set up to handle high end traffic driven by the high end real estate in the area.

There might be some RV's in private hangars, but I say just because I think there are a couple of VAF guys that have DZB on their tag line.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe they wave the ramp fee for anyone, and it is fairly high, $35.00 I think...

-Dan

Burnet (BMQ) is just a few miles the other direction from Marble Falls, and an easy in/out, no hassle place. We rented a car and stayed overnight a couple of years ago, and it cost nothing to visit or tie down.

...plus BMQ has some of the chaepest fuel in Texas ($4.44 last week)! Very user friendly. You'll pay much more for fuel at DZB.

...Sunrise Beach (2KL) has a grass strip on the other side of the lake -- depending on where you are actually visiting, that might be an option as well. Haven't been out there in years though, so no idea of the condition. I think I saw on some thread a while back that at least one RV lives there....

Looking south-ish:

lake_LBJ2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks for the information. The Marble Falls trip is now delayed, but Burnet sounds like the best option for fuel and entertainment. Looks like a VFR 3 day Fed Holiday weekend across TX so I'll figure out some alternate destination(s). :)

Back