What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reamer sizes

rightrudder

Well Known Member
Would any of you experienced 9/9A builders have a list of reamer sizes need for the build? I know a 0.311 is needed for the gear weldments, and the rear spar attachment needs a reamed hole (size?). What about elsewhere on the airframe?

I'm about to place an order at one of our fine tool vendors here, and I want to buy them all at once if possible.

If you're just looking to complete the toolkit, get one each of the AN bolt sizes. The 3/16" is the one I used the most.

For the .311, consider buying two. When the first one breaks you'll be happy to have a backup.

Thanks, Chip?that's a good idea. Other than the gear weldments, do any of the holes (other than the pre-done wing attach holes) need to be a nonstandard size?

I have been glad I bought a #40 and #30 reamer, a 3/16 reamer and plan to buy a #19 reamer. The #19 reamer is for the #8 screws.

Dave

reamers

MSC.com is a great source for reamers. Wide range of quality and price, great customer service.
I have slightly undersize reamers for AN3 thru AN6 bolts, usually .0015 to .002 under the nominal size.

I used a 1/4" and a #12 reamer for many of the AN4 and AN3 bolt holes.
If I was to build again, I would add the #30 and #40 and ream the match drilled holes to size for all of the rivets.
My local industrial hardware store has all of the reamer sizes.

Thanks, everyone. I should've had a set of these from the outset. They certainly won't be the last tools I buy for the project!! :D

I placed an order….I went with 1/4", 3/16", #12 and 0.311, which is 5/16" undersize. Thanks for steering me in the right direction. VAF is absolutely the best $25/year you could ever spend on your plane. :)

Last edited:
Back