What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any idea what these long Allen screws are for in my finishing kit?

IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
I'm building a 9A and am working on the nose gear. Hardware bag 1989 has 2 pairs of Allen head cap screws. The smaller pair are 5/16x24x3/4 and they fit the holes for the nose gear rotational stops.

The larger pair are 3/8x24x1 3/4. The parts list calls them out as 3/4" long and they are shown in DWG C1 holding on the nose wheel pant bracket.

Did I just get an incorrect and over long pair of screws from Vans (years ago) or do the longer ones go somewhere else and I've messed up my storage drawers?

Thanks!

Could be the landing gear bolt that support the Brake system?

I'm building a 9A and am working on the nose gear. Hardware bag 1989 has 2 pairs of Allen head cap screws. The smaller pair are 5/16x24x3/4 and they fit the holes for the nose gear rotational stops.

The larger pair are 3/8x24x1 3/4. The parts list calls them out as 3/4" long and they are shown in DWG C1 holding on the nose wheel pant bracket.

Did I just get an incorrect and over long pair of screws from Vans (years ago) or do the longer ones go somewhere else and I've messed up my storage drawers?

Thanks!

Just to clarify - here are the bolts I was trying to find... but I found ones that are 1" longer. I can see that if they were longer and had a spacer under them they might be good for a towbar... but no spacer on the plans.

nose%2520gear%2520bolts.jpg

Those are definitely the wrong length. I put the 3/4" ones in and the end of the bolt was too close to the tire for my comfort. I bought some 5/8" length ones at the local hardware store and they fit much better. Any Ace or TrueValue hardware store should have these.

Thanks Bruce and all. I think Vans sent me some bolts that are way too long. I was worried about getting too close to the tire also.

I had no idea the tow bar attached here.. does it just grab the heads of the bolts? That seems pretty short. I could maybe make some 1" long spacers and put them under my long bolts so there would be "pins" for the towbar to attach to... but that's pretty big under the fairing.

Since these aren't critical hardware, or under much stress, I may have to go to the local hardware store.

If you purchase the common Bogert towbar, they also sell a tow pin extension kit which includes the longer bolts plus spacers for $29.00. It increases the towbar attach engagement from 3/8" to over 1" which makes it less likely the towbar will slip off when towing and damage the wheel pant. Sounds like you may have the longer bolts and just need to fabricate a couple spacers. Of course you have to drill holes in each side of your pant to provide access to the tow pins. Mine has the extended pins and the head of the bolts sit just slightly proud of the pant surface. You can check out the Bogert web site also to get a picture of the towbar and extension kit.

Last edited:
I put three washers and the lock washer on the bolt. Keeps the bolt from extending into the backside of the fork and provides adequate length for the tow bar to connect. The bolt heads set just inside the fairing. Suggest you include the allen wrench with your fly-away tools.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the -9, but on the -10 there is a big spacer that goes between them & the wheel pant bracket to get the head of the screw closer to the wheel pant itself. Maybe there is a change in the plans for that. I ordered brackets for the nose pant on my -9A @ they are different than the brackets originally installed, and are more like the -10 brackets, making me think they changed that. 3/4" would not be long enough with the spacers as in the -10.

problem resolved

I think it was a Vans kitting error.. but no matter. I took the advice I received here and went to the local hardware store. I bought some of the correct 3/4" screws.

The 3/4" per-plans screws were too long and got too close to the tire, even with the big lockwasher and a regular washer (and the wheelpant bracket).

The hardware store didn't have any shorter screws, so I also purchsed some 1" long screws. I bought some bushing stock and made a ~0.45" spacer on each side. That worked perfectly in that it keeps the screw tip out of the tire and also will provide a convenient attach point for a towbar.

The original bolts that I got were just way too long, but this worked out fine.

Thanks to all who replied.

I found the same problem when I finished my kit. The two bolts provided in the kit were way too long.
I ended up ordering two new allen head bolts, I can't remember which length. Then I used 3 flat washers and a stainless lock washer on each side to act as a spacer. This makes a nice post for the Bogert tow bar to grab onto, and doesn't protrude too far on the inside to cause any risk of tire damage.

Back