What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh arrivals besides at KOSH

chipf

Well Known Member
I finally get to start a thread!

There's lots of discussion on flying into KOSH, but I wanted to get advice on flying into the other area fields, in my case Outagamie Regional (KATW).
I've tried searching the forum all sorts of ways, but couldn't find anything about this.

I've read the 2012 NOTAM and it defines a procedure for arrival and departing. So far so good. But it starts just Northwest of KOSH and doesn't offer much guidance on altitudes and how to avoid conflicts outside of the defined procedures.

I'll be coming in from South/Southwest, so my plan is to be about 20 miles west of Ripon at least at 5500 ft, proceding North, past 21 then turning east to parallel Hwy 21 and descending to 3500 by Lake Butte des Morts, which is the VFR waypoint for contacting KATW tower. I expect to do this Sunday morning, around 10AM.

Does this sound reasonable? How much traffic should I expect north of 21? And can I expect VFR flight following in the area or even all the way to tower handoff? Am I overthinking this?
Any advice is appreciated.

Similar questions apply to Fond du Lac, but at least FLD arrivals from the south don't have to mix with the densest part of the KOSH arrivals at Ripon.

I have flown to Appleton several times and doing it again this year ( could not get rental car in OSH). Very normal arrival as to any class D. I approach from SW as well and just stay high over the Ripon VFR approach and wide of OSH class D. No issues once on ground if you just follow the NOTAM. I have always arrived early in the morning (before 9) so have not experienced a lot of traffic to be in a hold for appleton so can not comment how well that works. I think you will be fine at 10am.

See pg 3 of the NOTAM

MKE Appr will not provide VFR traffic advisories N of this line and within 70 nm of Osh.

Your plan looks pretty good to a Osh newbie like me.

Back