What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do you go the last mile on your trips?

Mike D

Well Known Member
I would like to use my plane for some mid range adventure but getting from the airport to the final destination seems to be a problem sometimes.

I have made trips where I had relatives or friends pick me up. I have used the courtesy car. I have called a taxi. I have rented a car and had it waiting for me at the airport.

So, my question is really to find out if there are any tips ot tricks to inexpensively go the last mile ot two. In these cases I would not have friends or relatives in the area, and can't use the courtesy vehicle (either staying longer or not available).

The taxi's I have used in the rural towns don't seem that safe or take a long time to get there.

The one time I rented a car it cost way more than a full fill up in the RV.:eek: This was at a jet center here in Texas.

Say I want to fly the wife and kid to San Antoino to see the river walk. I could take a taxi, but I need a car seat for the 1yo son. I could rent a car, but after my last experience, I would rather drive my own car from Houston to San Antonio. Any tips on how to get less expensive rental cars not connected to a major airport?

Or alternatively, say I want to take the family to a camping spot for the weekend but there are no rental cars or taxi's. But this type of trip might not be safe incase someone gets injured or sick.

I heard that you can call the county sheriff for a ride, but this seems ridiculous to a city boy like me. Is it true? Any experience?

Maybe there is not a solution, but just checking.

It's a real problem for GA. I wish AOPA or similar groups would work on some solution. You've named most solutions I've heard of or used myself. It's why pilots also bring along folding bikes, etc, and partly why Terrafugia designed and built their airplane. A friend has used the local sheriff as a last resort.

At one airport in Nebraska I stopped at overnight to avoid a huge thunderstorm ahead, there was not a soul around, and only a payphone (this was years ago before cell phones were common). Finally managed to get the local taxi guy to come out...like you say, some of these operators are a bit dodgy. Checked into the local motel and they had the TV weather on about the expected huge hailstorm that night...with my plane sitting outside. Fully expected it to be ruined the next morning, but fortunately it only rained.

No, As a retired cop I can tell you as a matter of fact that you do not call a law enforcement official for a ride unless you are looking for a trip to jail. You might look into a county transit ride if those are available where you are going. Quite a few counties here in Michigan have them. They usually cost only a few dollars for a ride but you sometimes you may have to wait for pick-up unless you schedule in advance. They use small buses or vans and offer door to door services. They use various names such as "Dial A Ride" or similar. Call the County/City offices to find out if they offer these services.

Enterprise works pretty good...

We use Enterprise since they will come pick you up and bring you back... much cheaper than the FBO or pre-arranged car waiting for you. Pretty easy to get a good rate at he lat minute when you know your plans are set.

Mike, why is the sky blue? Seriously, you've bumped into the reason small aircraft haven't become THE answer to medium/long distance travel. Also one of the reasons small aircraft are fading. I guess this is why people keep whacking away at the flying car.

Plan, plan and plan

Michael you mentioned mid range travel and family. There is not much you can do other then carefully plan ahead. Don't go with family to a destination where only LE can provide the ride. There is probably not much to see for your kid anyway.

On long range trips and alone I would suggest always keep fuel tanks full and have alternates withing 100 miles radius.

If you don't have friends or relatives at faraway destinations then make them and maintain :). For example, I have open invitation to visit San Antonio any time I want starting tomorrow. RV will be taken care of and I'll get two free burritos :D

Go travel!!

Good question.

The one solution that isn't mentioned is to just ask someone hanging around the airport for a ride. I've only done this a few times, but it worked great. It probably doesn't work as well in the middle on the night though.

I did this once for when I couldn't reach any of my family (pre-cell phones) as they were all at the hospital. A nice lady (who I later discovered was the wife of my brother's boss) took me to my parents house.

Another time Avis in Albuquerque screwed me and had the car at ABQ instead of AEG where it was supposed to be. I asked a guy who had just landed if he was going downtown. He wasn't, but offered to take my wife and I there anyway, and wouldn't take any money.

Most days I'd be more than happy to pick-up/drop-off someone at KBJC Northwest of Denver.

Also, for the time being, I have one more car than I need, so if anyone needs it at KBJC it could be made available. It seems to me we could/should have a way to devise an RV courtesy car network that would work with the location services on your iPad/iPphone and let you know where there is a car. As mentioned before, AOPA ought to be able to do the same thing GA wide. I'd guess that liability concerns stop a lot of ideas like this from getting implemented.

We use Enterprise since they will come pick you up and bring you back... much cheaper than the FBO or pre-arranged car waiting for you. Pretty easy to get a good rate at he lat minute when you know your plans are set.

We also end up using Enterprise due to lack of other choices....but in general, you can't pick up or drop off on the weekend at most locations we have used - that makes it pretty difficult!

We have, however, been graciously hosted by many RV'ers who offer transportation if you post a need here on the forums. Heck, I have landed someplace with the intent of walking to a car rental place in town and had an RV builder walk up and offer a ride - quite a few times in fact!

Paul

Last edited:
yeah, airport cars and insurance?????

Good question.

It seems to me we could/should have a way to devise an RV courtesy car network that would work with the location services on your iPad/iPphone and let you know where there is a car. As mentioned before, AOPA ought to be able to do the same thing GA wide. I'd guess that liability concerns stop a lot of ideas like this from getting implemented.

Our local club tried to setup a courtesy car. Key management, fuel and insurance were the real killers. Like a lot of airports, the tie-down is only a mile from town, but you have to travel 5 miles to get around the fences to get to the other side of the field. Transit is a joke, non-existent, or comes to meet the odd scheduled airline flights.

I agree, we all should put our cel numbers on VAF, AOPA or COPA pages so that nobody gets stranded! No doubt this would lead to travellers getting safer tie-downs, or hangar space when needed.

<snip>we all should put our cel numbers on VAF, AOPA or COPA pages so that nobody gets stranded! No doubt this would lead to travellers getting safer tie-downs, or hangar space when needed.

Long ago in my glass airplane days, the Central States Association (CSA - the EZ guys) had, what I think was called, The Travel Club (or something like that). I'm sure it's been tried by most groups. The idea being a list of people (their location and phone) that were willing to "assist" travelers (like is being discussed). Sure is a great idea but I suspect it is very difficult to manage/maintain.

Ground transportation is just part of the trip planning

Rental car is always my first choice regardless of cost. I need to be totally independent or the trip is not enjoyable. Maybe it's an attitude developed with age.

In many places there is no rental car availability of any kind - yes not even Enterprise. I don't go to those places unless there is an air race there that I want to compete in. In those cases I have been able to work something out with the race director if it is a remain over night situation to get to a motel and back to the airport. To emphasize under normal travel situations - I don't go to airports as destinations that do not have rental cars available. They are like gas stations in the middle of nowhere.

Bob Axsom

It's the irony of GA. You get somewhere in half the time, only to be stranded at the airport in the middle of nowhere.

KOAR
IMAG0989.jpg

Even at a large GA airport like KSMO, the jet center car rental rate is like $100/day. There are a few enterprise offices a few miles away from the airport, but those few miles are quite a hassle. Sat/Sun hours for Enterprise is only 9 to noon, so drop-offs are a bit of a hassle. They also charge 2x the going rate for the drop-off vs. renting it at their office just a few miles away, which adds up for multiple days.

Yep, the last mile is frustrating and difficult!

Jae

Very nice!

I was reading the OP's question and thinking more along the lines of people to contact for a local ride and/or overnight hangar space - not so much a place to stay (though that is very neat!).

Kudos to those that have made a commitment to the RV Hotel. It is incredibly generous, and I hope to use it sometime.

I'd be happy to chauffeur someone around town, but I really don't have a passable guest room, and the war committee (better half) is skeptical of offering up overnight accommodations. Our house generally isn't that presentable.:eek:

Maybe we need an RV ground transportation list to go along with the RV Hotel. I'd sign up for that.

One potential alternative I haven't seen mentioned is to land at a smaller airport in the area. You might be able to get a 'pick you up' rental for a more reasonable rate by avoiding the Big FBO's cut on the rental that's happening at the big airport. And you could help keep that smaller airport open, too, by buying fuel from the smaller FBO.

Charlie

I've gone on a lot of XC trips in Jabirus for deliveries, air shows, etc, and here's my general habit pattern for planning such trips.

1. If you are going along a route you haven't traveled before, do some research ahead of time for several airport options. Several, not just one. You never know when weather/pee break/headwinds/need lunch NOW/ whatever will crop up. I like the small airports, usually no bigger than Class D, very near a town. Smaller places usually mean friendlier people and cheaper gas & hangar rates, but there is a chance you'll get there and nobody is around. I always bring along my walking shoes just in case we have to hoof it. If you really need civilization, aim for a Class C airport and you'll find it.

2. Call ahead at these places and ask for fuel, hangar & courtesy car/taxi/rental availability. I have never had good luck with Enterprise, by the way. I mean, it wouldn't seem so bad if their commercials didn't gloat about their customer service. Anyway, that rant is for another day.

3. In times where weather or whatever cropped up and I've landed at unplanned locations, it was always an adventure, and people always seemed to go out of their way for me. I can't tell you how often "that one dude" happened to be the last one on the field and offered a ride or an empty hangar out of the storm. I guess I've been just lucky. Or maybe being a girl has something to do with it. :cool: Although this has happened a lot when I fly with the guys too.

4. When you fly along a familiar route (I could fly from Tennessee to Florida or Wisconsin with my eyes closed) I always land at places I know are good, especially when solo. Usually the airports with nearby food, friendly people and a courtesy car of good character are the ones that get plugged into the GPS first. One of my favorite spots is Moultrie GA (KMGR). We would swarm that place with Jabirus and Lightnings as our gaggle went to Sun n Fun and Sebring each spring. When you call 5 or 10 miles out, someone always answers from the FBO with a weather report and a "Welcome to Moultrie!" and then we'd ask if the Battle Wagon was available. That's their wonderful old Caprice station wagon. (Or was it a Crown Vic? It's a boat, anyway!) And they have homemade cookies and Mountain Dew. (and I thought Coca Cola owned Georgia.) Another one was Gainesville FL because they have a Holiday Inn with a great bar/restaurant and a free shuttle van. It's the little things that draw the pilots!

VAF is a resource I'm just beginning to discover for planning and help getting out of a jam. It always amazes me how many people respond to calls of help on here.

No matter what, an adventurous outlook and a flexible schedule are required!

I always call ahead and ask 1. Do they have a courtesy car? 2. Do they have a rental car just in case? and 3. Is there a hotel at the field or within walking distance?
In fact I just grabbed a car for a short visit to Houston this coming weekend.
Recently I flew a friend to San Antonio and visited the Alamo and Riverwalk, landed at Stinson Field. One of the FBO's there had a courtesy car on a previous visit, this time I got a reasonable crew car rate on a rental.

I haven't been stranded yet, but imagine it will eventually happen.

I hear you about the planning. I'm sitting in Williams Lake BC and the cab ride (one way) was $45 for 8 miles - totally unexpected to cost that much but I didn't check beforehand. Would probably have been cheaper to rent a car. By the time I get back to the airport, the cab fare will be almost the same as the hotel! Next time I'll go on to Smithers where the hotel will actually pick up the cab fare (although it is another two hours flying).

Greg

Mistook the meaning of the initial title..........

I thought you meant what I normally do - 180kts plus into the overhead, bleed the speed off downwind to a curving approach :eek::D

It's about a mile I guess.

Most of the time we use our bikes. Two small folding bikes plus two small backpacks fit in our RV7. Riding 10 miles even on a little folder is no problem.

"Within walking distance"

takes on a whole new meaning after a flight and the day is ending. There are a few gems out there, like Jennings, LA where the ramp is a mere 100 feet from a couple of hotels and restaurants. I find adventurepilot.com to be helpful with the option of filtering to find restaurants or hotels within walking distance, on the airport, etc.

Most hotels have shuttles that can come and get you and take you back. We used one this weekend. The kid driving was very gracious as his driving us around kept him from folding linens. :)

Start a Newwork

Would be nice if someone with some techie skills(surely not I....for years when folks spoke of their "floppy disks" I assumed it was something in our spines that enabled us to bend over enough to bite our toenails!) could start a site kind of an "Overhead Railroad" that would lists hospitality rooms, lifts from the airport, hanger space for a short stay.....etc. After all there are almost 8000 rv's flying and a bunch more building....could become quite a network!

Maybe there is something out there already....but I am not aware of it. Of course occasionally I do suffer from amnesia and deja vu at the same time!

Would be nice if someone with some techie skills(surely not I....for years when folks spoke of their "floppy disks" I assumed it was something in our spines that enabled us to bend over enough to bite our toenails!) could start a site kind of an "Overhead Railroad" that would lists hospitality rooms, lifts from the airport, hanger space for a short stay.....etc. After all there are almost 8000 rv's flying and a bunch more building....could become quite a network!

Maybe there is something out there already....but I am not aware of it. Of course occasionally I do suffer from amnesia and deja vu at the same time!

Doug's RV Hotel is a big step in the direction you're suggesting. Maybe it can be expanded a bit...heck I'd even up my donation if there were a way to find transportation in addition to the rooms people offer.

Within walking distance

Very true, "within walking distance" means a whole different thing with a tired one year old.:)

Also getting a taxi or using the RV hotel may or not be possible with a wife and toddler along.

Maybe this is why aviation attracts only the young, single or retired.:)

Seems like Phil gets around well enough with two kids now. Tell me how you do it.

Hi Bob,
RV Hotel list here on VAF is very good. People put their coordinates for good cause. They trust our RV community and I don't think somebody else would do a better network compilation. There is also a thread about airport cars which needs major revision.

I travel extensively with my RV and can give you some feedback. RV Hotel list was created years ago. People's situations change, somebody moved, somebody is not available for particular date, somebody already has different email and telephone number, somebody visits VAF very rare etc. To be on top of your destinations you have to be always in the loop. Network, network and network.
Several hoteliers I contacted months ago didn't responded. Either situations changed or email got junked. Couple times in last two years I asked the same gentleman if the Hotel is available and told him I am coming. I wasn't able to make it both times. What would he think of me third time? But I have many places I can go now on very short notice or just show up. And they are not on RV Hotel list and likely won't be. Well, you got general idea.

takes on a whole new meaning after a flight and the day is ending. There are a few gems out there, like Jennings, LA where the ramp is a mere 100 feet from a couple of hotels and restaurants. I find adventurepilot.com to be helpful with the option of filtering to find restaurants or hotels within walking distance, on the airport, etc.

For Aussies:

I have a google map for Australia which lists several hundred airstrips that are within ten minutes walk of food and/or accommodation.

It was published last year in a sidebar article in the RA-Aus mag.

Here's the link: http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?m...=-25.005973,137.021484&spn=41.56424,48.251953

It's maintained by John Gilpin from stolspeed.com. His email address is on his site, and he maintains the list if you send him updates.

- mark

Hi Bob,
RV Hotel list here on VAF is very good. People put their coordinates for good cause. They trust our RV community and I don't think somebody else would do a better network compilation. There is also a thread about airport cars which needs major revision.

I travel extensively with my RV and can give you some feedback. RV Hotel list was created years ago. People's situations change, somebody moved, somebody is not available for particular date, somebody already has different email and telephone number, somebody visits VAF very rare etc. To be on top of your destinations you have to be always in the loop. Network, network and network.
Several hoteliers I contacted months ago didn't responded. Either situations changed or email got junked. Couple times in last two years I asked the same gentleman if the Hotel is available and told him I am coming. I wasn't able to make it both times. What would he think of me third time? But I have many places I can go now on very short notice or just show up. And they are not on RV Hotel list and likely won't be. Well, you got general idea.

Hey Vlad,

Being as I am fairly new to VAF I haven't searched the whole site. I did go and find a link to the VAF hotel.....seems like it has a nice bunch of folks scattered about....but still seems small compared to the vast Vans community. I need to finish a bedroom and bath in my basement then I will place my name on the list also! In the meantime if anyone flies into Culpeper (KCJR) or Warrenton (KHWY) and needs a ride just let me know when you are coming......I also have a reliable (but tired Jeep that runs on 87 octane Geritol) that I am willing to let folks use to get a bite to eat or ???

I have followed the adventures of "Vlad and the RV-9 that Could" since being a member when I get on the site. I had a "Vladventure" flying a King Air 100 from New Hampshire to the Middle East...7days and 34 hours later I arrived there.....best flight of my life...great borscht too!!

Yol Bolson Vlad!

Robert nice to hear that! I haven't eaten real borsch for two decades now :) Let's meet someday at Salmon International. Glen is quite a chef!

Vlad,

Sounds like a good idea. I don't recollect where Salmon International is....but it would be a good time i am sure. I am giving you a link to my photos of my trip from New Hampshire to Bagram.....the photos start in New Hampshire....to Goose Bay....Greenland....Iceland....England.....Czeck Republic....Ukraine....Georgia.....Turkmenistan....Afghanistan. If you get bored on one of those long flights while messing with your IPAD!

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=95abb6ab72199967&sid=0AcN3Lhu2atmLlQ

Interesting to see the comments about the expense and hassle of rental cars. I use Avis and get a corporate rate through my employer and I'm also a preferred member. I typically pay about $32 bucks per day for a midsized car and have rarely run into difficulty having the car delivered to the airport. We've done this dozens of times and the car is usually waiting right near transient parking with the keys in it. Most of the time my wife has the car pulled up next to the airplane with the trunk open before I'm even done tying down. These discounts and "preferred status" is not hard to get. It's really the way to go.

If it's just an overnight, I look for a hotel that has a shuttle. Even if they don't offer a shuttle, a phone call a day or so in advance will often get you a ride.

It's true that dropping in randomly out of the blue could mean you are stuck at the airport, but a little planning goes a long way.

RV Hotel listed in forums?

Maybe a little thread drift - but topical.

I have been her awhile, and I didn't know much about the RV Hotel. It took me a few minutes to find it. Maybe it is that was to help with privacy. Im not sure that really is an issue, so maybe updates to the hotel list or a thread including posts about how much fun someone had visiting another RV'er - specifically about the hotel and what there was to do on their visit.

We have plenty of room for as many people that can fit in any of the RV's and most of the time an extra car. The GWS airport is only a few miles away - though it is a little tight getting in and out because of wind and density (6200'). My job keeps me busy and we are gone quite a bit, and I am not a cruise director, but it is a place to stay!

I will add my info to the hotel list and maybe we should discuss making it easier to remember and see updates.

As for Mark (Newt), I may put long range fuel tanks in my -9, but I think it is still iffy to make it to your neck of the woods!!

My experience with the last mile - no answers, just reflection

I've been traveling by SEL plane for 15+ years now. Mostly with a tailwheel Maule, recently in my recently completed RV10. It's almost always with my wife, never with kids, sometimes with passengers.

Though I'm always more comfortable at smaller 'ports, fact is I've found equivalent and often better service at the bigger airports and bigger FBOs.

Our travels are generally aimed at a specific, usually urban, destination so the closet airport is often bigger and busier than I might otherwise choose. I found it difficult to forecast how the last mile will be handled other than getting a rental car when needed.

Even with the Maule (which requires self parking because of the tailwheel... I miss that) I've often found that even at the larger airports and FBOs (KCLT, KHPN) we get great service, cheaply, and ironically often for free. The line people and desk people at the large FBOs seemed to be trained for a single service level and we get it independent of plane size or fuel purchase. The good ones do a good job. To the extent they have bigger fish to fry at times, we just go with that and get out of the way. Often with a loaner car, bags carried, discount hotel arranged, and fees waived or not bothered with.

I have a good deal with Hertz but Enterprise works well except on Sundays and after hours. It's often best to call the FBO ahead and ask them to make as many arrangements as possible. They often can do more than you would normally ask for. Remember all those charter pilots are often very stuck with regard to the last mile and they try to take very good care of those folks.

You still run into owner/operator people at FBOs but usually deal with employees that respond more to a smile and a chat than the $$$ potential of your visit.

Frankly, I was often a bit 'embarassed' to taxi my raggety ol' Moultrie cruiser up to the front door, have them roll out the red carpent (literally) and then have to explain to the line guys that , "no, you can't use a tow bar on me, and yes, I need real tiedowns so just tell me where I should park it". Now that I have a nice shiny RV10 to taxi up in, I feel entitled to everything available!

Example; I fly in the Weiser in Houston. A GA 'port where I can't figure out how to get fuel, get stuck in the mud and have to tie down less than a wing span from the active. Move over to Hobby and due to the lack of tiedowns, they put me in a hangar and ask what time I want it pulled out in the morning. "Don't worry about the overnight fee, sorry we didn't have any tie down rings". You are pardoned, thanks!

Example; I fly into Scottsdale and am the only piston plane I see at the one FBO all week. But guess what? Bags unloaded, plane parked and tied, golf cart rides as needed, cold water, ice cream sandwiches several lounges, food, good looking staffs and experienced line people and long hours at the desk. $14/night I think including several local flights. Bought 15 gallons of overpriced fuel but it was more than worth it given the location and service levels.

Example; I usually fly into a residential airpark near Charlotte but often find KCLT handier. I've never bought a gallon of gas there (just never needed it) but 80% of the time I'd go in and out without a fee and lots of service. Why? I think it had to do with tailwheel more often than not, but often felt it's just a question of not requiring any paperwork.

The biggest FBO at the biggest airport won't have the cheapest fuel but almost everything else may be better as long as you are friendly and realize that you may occasionally get nailed for more fees and costs than you want. Big FBO line staffs deal with demanding types all day long and often welcome a friendly presence. They will go out of there way to make sure you get everything they have to give if you give them some respect and a smile.

And if someone delivers good service, remember to mention them by name on Airnav or whatever you browse to figure out where to go.

I'd say don't hesitate to fly to where you need to go, don't hesitate to go into the bigger 'ports and FBOs, and as long as you can handle the occasional burdensome fee, don't be afraid of extra costs and gas prices. Get the gas elsewhere when you can and don't assume all fees will be charged. Small plane FBOs are often more focused on your $$$ than the large ones.

I'll continue to work on my willingness to ask for what I need. You often don't get what you don't ask for and I'm not good at doing it.

Bill "N215TG" Watson

Bill, great post!!

I often wished Airnav had a way to create a route based on a rating of the FBO's. Most of the time I am not concerned with the cheapest fuel or the shortest route.

Some of the best service I received was from the mid sized airports. I gladly pay for the increased fuel cost because I don't use that much.:) But I also like to give business to the small guy.

Nicely written Bill! It was a pleasure to meet you at our airport couple weeks ago. That little birdie gave you some work? :D

Last edited:
The last mile

The last mile is sometimes an issue for the reasons already identified.

Additionally, I ran into the rental car trap as follows:
Requested a rental car delivered at the airport. Enterprise said they did not service THAT airport as an agreement?? I found out the airport had a private car rental business at the airport with some kind of a no competition arrangement. I got a car, although had to call FBO for the private onsite car rental.

Thanks! Good seeing you again too Vlad

I just ordered a set of cowl plugs from Vans. Was going to fabricate something but decided to go for store bought.

Actually, I have been traveling without the '10 for a few weeks and I have yet to pull the cowling and clean out all that NJ landscape. Hopefully tomorrow before it heats up.

I should have known better....

Bill

Back